Background: Once part of Spain's vast empire in the New World, Honduras became an independent nation in 1821. After two and a half decades of mostly military rule, a freely elected civilian government came to power in 1982. During the 1980s, Honduras proved a haven for anti-Sandinista contras fighting the Marxist Nicaraguan Government and an ally to Salvadoran Government forces fighting leftist guerrillas. The country was devastated by Hurricane Mitch in 1998, which killed about 5,600 people and caused approximately $2 billion in damage.
Photos from La Ceiba
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from La Ceiba
Latest Blogs from La Ceiba
- July 22nd 2012 La Ceiba
by Words: 678 Photos: 5
- June 30th 2012 Hola Honduras!!
by Words: 592 Photos: 0
- February 7th 2012 Jan3 ...
by Words: 540 Photos: 0
- January 25th 2012 Ocean, City and Nightlife
by Words: 610 Photos: 0
- January 1st 2012 xmas andnew years
by Words: 508 Photos: 0
- December 24th 2011 Learning Spanish in Honduras
by Words: 708 Photos: 0
- October 8th 2011 The longest journey ever.
by Words: 542 Photos: 0
- August 22nd 2011 We Meet Again: Central America (Guatemala, Belize & Honduras)
by Words: 877 Photos: 21
- April 17th 2011 Omega Jungle Lodge - Arrival
by Words: 455 Photos: 13
- February 19th 2011 From Bay Islands to the Mainland of Honduras
by Words: 18 Photos: 0
- January 10th 2011 Honduras, in the jungle!
by Words: 1470 Photos: 13
- January 7th 2011 Honduras
by Words: 1309 Photos: 8
- August 14th 2010 Honduras - La Ceiba
by Words: 1546 Photos: 0
- August 1st 2010 Rain, rain, go away
by Words: 262 Photos: 2
- July 31st 2010 YO NO QUIERO IR!!!
by Words: 247 Photos: 3
- July 30th 2010 Quiet time
by Words: 113 Photos: 3
- July 29th 2010 Safe and Sound in La Ceiba
by Words: 127 Photos: 0
- June 1st 2010 Carnival in Honduras
by Words: 1003 Photos: 22
- March 7th 2010 La Ceiba 26./27.02.2010
by Words: 839 Photos: 28
- January 30th 2010 Journey to Utila experiences
by Words: 457 Photos: 8