The longest journey ever.


Advertisement
Published: October 8th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It´s 00.45 and we have been awake since 10.00 yesterday, but the day isnt over yet because now we have to get a bus to Belize City.
Checking our travel book makes it clear NOTHING TO DO IN BELIZE, we get on the bus, sleep a few hours an wake up at the Mexican Belize Border.
After not being checked because the immigration officers were too lazy and having our passports stamped, its time to head on to belize city.
As we arrive somewhere around 6 in the morning it becomes clear: we dont want to be here, the city is a collection of little houses, most of wich look like they are inhabited by squatters, this'plus advice by fellow travellers that we could better just move on from there inspires tge decision to get a bus through belize all the way to Punto Gorda, this took us about 12 hours in a chicken bus, wich was actually pretty interesing because what belize lacks in things to do it makes up for in beautiful scenery. But just like belize city : nothing to do in this country. We get to punto gorda, go through the checkpoint and ride a little speedboat with 2 german travellers to Puerto Barrios in Guatamala. Sadly all to do/see in Guatamala is the Tikal Temple and Antiqua, a lake surrounded by volcanoes, but there are far from our route. So it´s on to the border of Honduras with a cab driver who brings his wife and son along for the trip.
Getting there we are greeted by men holding stacks of money, offering to change it to Honduras Lempiras, this is common this part of the world and they give better rates for changing than the bank.
After being dropped of we are clueless as to how we are going to get away from the border town, seeing no bus. A cab driver stops and we take off with him, listening to some funky honduras tunes on the way to San Pedro Sula, the capital.
We are dropped off at a town where we have to get a bus to the capital, a minivan comes thundering our way, a guy hanging out of the door screaming : SAN PEDRO SULA! he comes over and we agree to go , getting our bags thrown into the bus and we head to San Pedro, the conducter screaming all along the way. Finally we arive, but like belize the city offers nothing but crime, traffic, fast food restaurants and very bad air. Finally we get to eat after about 30 hours, wich turns out to be the worst and biggest chinese meal we ever had, ending raymond up with some nice diarrea. After finally getting some well earned sleep after a long long long (30 hrs) day, we get the bus to La Ceiba, wich is supposed to be the party city of Honduras, not more could be untrue, after booking a room in Hostel Amsterdam 2001 we get to see the "nightlife", abandoned bars, prostitution and drunks. So today we head off to Roatan, a paradise for divers around the world, and hopefully something more to do untill we catch a flight to San Jose, the capital of Costa Rica.

We miss Playa del Carmen :P

Advertisement



Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb