Background: Once part of Spain's vast empire in the New World, Honduras became an independent nation in 1821. After two and a half decades of mostly military rule, a freely elected civilian government came to power in 1982. During the 1980s, Honduras proved a haven for anti-Sandinista contras fighting the Marxist Nicaraguan Government and an ally to Salvadoran Government forces fighting leftist guerrillas. The country was devastated by Hurricane Mitch in 1998, which killed about 5,600 people and caused approximately $2 billion in damage.
Photos from Honduras
Blogs from Honduras
Latest Blogs from Honduras
- June 15th 2013 Roaming in South and Central America...
by Words: 2312 Photos: 126
- May 4th 2013 Habitat Trip - La Rosario - Honduras.....Not Mexico
by Words: 255 Photos: 0
- May 4th 2013 Day 28: Leaving Roatan and Travelling to San Pedro Sula :(
by Words: 837 Photos: 1
- May 3rd 2013 Day 27: Dolphin Day!
by Words: 1266 Photos: 23
- May 2nd 2013 Day 26: Relaxing on Roatan Island
by Words: 1518 Photos: 39
- May 1st 2013 Day 25: Chicken bus to Roatan Island
by Words: 716 Photos: 8
- April 30th 2013 Day 24: Ruining & Coffee-ing in Copan
by Words: 1236 Photos: 36
- April 29th 2013 Day 23: Travelling to Honduras
by Words: 1011 Photos: 17
- April 6th 2013 Construction delays are universal.
by Words: 547 Photos: 7
- April 4th 2013 All about the people
by Words: 362 Photos: 0
- April 2nd 2013 Mud Bricks
by Words: 327 Photos: 2
- April 1st 2013 First day building
by Words: 273 Photos: 0
- April 1st 2013 Easter Sunday in Santa Rosa de Copan
by Words: 221 Photos: 4
- March 31st 2013 Arrival in Honduras
by Words: 275 Photos: 0
- March 28th 2013 An Illegal U-Turn...Even in Honduras
by Words: 471 Photos: 7
- March 28th 2013 Duiken in Utila!
by Words: 559 Photos: 8
- March 28th 2013 Mayan Temples!!
by Words: 1457 Photos: 14
- March 27th 2013 A Day Spent Diving and Eating Peanut Butter in Utila
by Words: 481 Photos: 8
- March 26th 2013 A Perfect Day in Utila
by Words: 632 Photos: 0
- March 25th 2013 A Plane, Taxi, Smaller Plane, and Tuck-Tuck to ParadiseWe left Kennedy at 3:45 am on Saturday morning, arrived in San Pedro Sula at 6:25 am local time and had to kill about eight hours before our puddle-jump to the island of Utila. After clearing customs
by Words: 825 Photos: 7