Roatan Island, Honduras


Advertisement
Published: March 31st 2023
Edit Blog Post

Roatan is an island off the Northern coast of Honduras. It is tiny and nothing much happens here except for the arrival of cruise ships, which apart from fishing is the main industry of the island. The people are a mixture of Spanish descent and African Caribbean, some of whom have come over from Jamaica and others from other islands in the East. The main language is English and also a version of Spanish which sounds nothing like Spanish!. The kids have to get up really early to walk to school and families on the whole tend to be quite large, which is not surprising as there is really no entertainment on the island! We were driven in a tiny bus out to a nature reserve looking after green iguanas, which are really quite cute. You can't pick them up otherwise you would get scratched but the odd one will let you tickle their back. At a different sanctuary we saw the national bird which is a Toucan and some lovely bright red macaws. There were some lovely little monkeys but we didn't get too close as they will grab any of your possessions given half the chance. There was also a small butterfly enclosure in which they are trying to preserve all the native species and hopefully increase their numbers. Further round the island we stopped at the obligatory viewpoint where there was of course multiple stalls selling local souvenirs. Must confess to buying a necklace.

Back on board Seven Seas Splendor, our main occupation apart from eating in the various restaurants and drinking in the various bars is Team Trivia. We have a team of 6 and came 3rd on the first day so must do better. The shows in the evening are the best dancers we have ever seen so nice way to end the evening.


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0386s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb