Background: Once part of Spain's vast empire in the New World, Honduras became an independent nation in 1821. After two and a half decades of mostly military rule, a freely elected civilian government came to power in 1982. During the 1980s, Honduras proved a haven for anti-Sandinista contras fighting the Marxist Nicaraguan Government and an ally to Salvadoran Government forces fighting leftist guerrillas. The country was devastated by Hurricane Mitch in 1998, which killed about 5,600 people and caused approximately $2 billion in damage.
Photos from Bay Islands
Blogs from Bay Islands
Latest Blogs from Bay Islands
- September 27th 2013 Honduras - pretty much driving and diving...
by Words: 1201 Photos: 3
- June 30th 2013 Living in diveland
by Words: 1021 Photos: 7
- June 18th 2013 Honduras, Belize 2013
by Words: 700 Photos: 5
- June 15th 2013 Roaming in South and Central America...
by Words: 2312 Photos: 126
- May 3rd 2013 Day 27: Dolphin Day!
by Words: 1266 Photos: 23
- May 2nd 2013 Day 26: Relaxing on Roatan Island
by Words: 1518 Photos: 39
- May 1st 2013 Day 25: Chicken bus to Roatan Island
by Words: 716 Photos: 8
- March 28th 2013 An Illegal U-Turn...Even in Honduras
by Words: 471 Photos: 7
- March 28th 2013 Duiken in Utila!
by Words: 559 Photos: 8
- March 27th 2013 A Day Spent Diving and Eating Peanut Butter in Utila
by Words: 481 Photos: 8
- March 26th 2013 A Perfect Day in Utila
by Words: 632 Photos: 0
- March 25th 2013 A Plane, Taxi, Smaller Plane, and Tuck-Tuck to ParadiseWe left Kennedy at 3:45 am on Saturday morning, arrived in San Pedro Sula at 6:25 am local time and had to kill about eight hours before our puddle-jump to the island of Utila. After clearing customs
by Words: 825 Photos: 7
- March 25th 2013 A day on Water Cay
by Words: 356 Photos: 7
- March 23rd 2013 Roatan Island 3-14-2013
by Words: 153 Photos: 43
- February 15th 2013 Roatan Honduras
by Words: 592 Photos: 4
- January 15th 2013 I Survived The Boat Ride Back!
by Words: 471 Photos: 0
- January 8th 2013 Utila Diving Center
by Words: 1089 Photos: 0
- January 7th 2013 The Vomit Comet
by Words: 857 Photos: 0
- December 23rd 2012 CENTRAL AMERICA CRUISING--PART II
by Words: 959 Photos: 28
- December 20th 2012 Roatan. Dive 16-18.Yawning hamlet, Arrow Blenny and active juvenile hogfish
by Words: 625 Photos: 10