Hola Honduras!!


Advertisement
Published: June 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Traveling for 8 hours, entertaining ourselves by fighting over the window seat and trying out the local snacks that were being sold at each stop, we finally made it to La Ceiba, Honduras after a lovely relaxing week in Omoa.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />We arrived into Honduras last Friday by boat after some interesting immigration procedures and then headed straight to Omoa. What was supposed a one night stop over quickly turned into a one week vacation! Enjoying the luxuries of our very cheap hostel, including air-con, tv, and bikes to go explore with. Omoa is where the local mainland Hondurans holiday at so no wonder it was so beautiful! We were in a bay and were surrounded by vast mountains filled with jungle on our left and nothing but sea on our right. It was the carribbean so lovely and warm with even a few jelly fish and star fish!!! This village had a lovely atmosphere with fruit stands, pulperias (local convenient stores run by families) and welcoming faces. We met some lovely people, some hondurans and some canadians that all made our one week stop in Omoa worthwhile! Our main adventure was trekking up to la cascada (the waterfall)! After a 40 min hike up an abandoned road we reached the waterfall, not knowing how to get the best view, a local speaking very fast Spanish guided us to a trail leading into the jungle surrounding the waterfall. We tucked our trousers into our socks grabbed a stick for a machete and I clutched on to Steve as he lead us to waterfall! Not wanting to go back into the woods we decided to see how far we could get following the water back to where we started our trek. Jumping rock to rock and the occasional swim for me (as my legs aren't very long) we finally reached the bottom and cooled off in the swimming holes and interacted with the local families that surrounded us. This was obviously where they come to cool off too.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />After meeting a local family we were invited to come watch the mum play in her local football team. Of course Steve being Steve got onto the field at half time and had a kick around with the children their that were cheering on their mums. They then surrounded us asking questions and helping prenpimce their names for the rest of the game.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />So now after spending time in a local village we have arrived into a city. The city, although on a beach, is very city like and quite ugly. It's filled with electricity wires and a smell of waste. But tomorrow we set out of here early to head to the jungle in a jeep and go white water rafting on the Rio Cangrejal. We spending the night out in the jungle in one of the lodges, coming back to the city on Sunday and getting on another boat and heading the one of the bay islands, Utila, for my birthday 😊<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" /><br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />I'm sure we will write another blog soon and share our experience white water rafting in the jungle!!!

Photos to follow,

Miss you all lots.<br style="font-family: arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: normal;" />Xxx

Advertisement



Tot: 0.044s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0197s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb