Welcome to the Travel Forums

Why join TravelBlog?

  • Membership is Free and Easy
  • Your travel questions answered in minutes!
  • Become part of the friendliest online travel community.
Join Now! Join TravelBlog* today and meet thousands of friendly travelers. Don't wait! Join today and make your adventures even more enjoyable.

* Blogging is not required to participate in the forums

Teaching in Asia

Wanted some advice on courses to do if I want to work in Asia (Vietnam/Thailand) teaching English.
8 years ago, April 30th 2011 No: 1 Msg: #135084  
Hi All

I have looked up the TEFL course but have also seen some others, just wondered what was the most recognised one? Also, how do you go about finding work? Just turn up and ask around or are there any companies/people to get in contact with before you leave home? Reply to this

8 years ago, April 30th 2011 No: 2 Msg: #135085  
The most widely recognised TEFL courses are the CELTA and the Trinity. These are accepted worldwide. They run them all over the world and you can do the CELTA in both Thailand and Vietnam. Look at Apollo English, ILA, ECC and International House.

Alternatively, to be acceptable a course needs to be a minimum of 120 hours of teaching and 6 hours of observed teaching practise teaching REAL students. There are many courses that fulfil these requirements. They will get you a job but you won't get a job in certain schools. If you don't have a CELTA or Trinity you won't get a job in Apollo or ILA in Vietnam. However, you would get a job with many other schools.

Online or weekend courses are not accepted by decent schools. You also need a degree to teach in both countries. This is to satisfy the visa/work permit requirements.

The school you do your TEFL certificate with will be able to help with contacts to find work. If you do the course in the country where you want to teach you will have a foot in the door regarding jobs. Otherwise there are websites that post job offers. TEFL.com and esl cafe are two big ones. Ajarn is a website for teachers in Thailand. You can also drop your cv off/email it to schools where you want to work and wait for them to contact you. Some schools recruit from abroad and others only recruit from within the country.

Hope this helps.

[Edited: 2011 Apr 30 13:48 - Rat on the Road:23681 ]
Reply to this

8 years ago, May 14th 2011 No: 3 Msg: #136215  
Hi! Not me, but I think my aunt can give you tips about that. I don't know her email address but you can search her in FB. Her name is Amy Zamora, she's teaching English right now in Malaysia. She also have a school here in the Philippines. She's been doing it for more than 10 years. I hope she can help. Reply to this

8 years ago, August 10th 2011 No: 4 Msg: #141732  
B Posts: 130
rotr great response 😊
Im looking into TEFL courses myself.I have a degree (not in english) and from what i found from my recent travels, this seems to be sufficient enough to get a teaching job in asia?
Are there any official sites where you can search teaching jobs abroad? i know a google search might do the trick but i dont want to end up looking on a site for ages to find its not legitimate!
Many thanks 😊
x Reply to this

8 years ago, August 11th 2011 No: 5 Msg: #141760  
Hi Abi

As I said above TEFL.COM and ESL CAFE are two of the biggest and best known teaching sites. Check out the jobs available on there.

A degree in any subject is enough for a teaching job in some countries in Asia e.g. Japan and Korea. For other countries you need to take a teaching certificate as I discussed above. Either way, you need some training in how to teach a language to someone who doesn't understand you. Japanese and Korean companies will give you on the job training. Other countries require a teaching certificate so they don't have to train you.

Hope this helps

[Edited: 2011 Aug 11 04:54 - Rat on the Road:23681 ]
Reply to this

8 years ago, August 11th 2011 No: 6 Msg: #141785  
B Posts: 130
Thankyou very much 😊 😊 Sorry, didnt mean it to sound as thought i hadnt read your post, just assumed the jobs posted on there would only be for people with their certificate
Thats cool though thankyou 😊 x
Reply to this

8 years ago, August 13th 2011 No: 7 Msg: #141838  
That's ok! If you want a job in Korea or Japan check out the Jet Programme (Japan), Intrac (Japan) and Flying Cows recruitment (Korea). That's a place to start. Reply to this

Tot: 0.087s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 4; qc: 18; dbt: 0.0093s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb