Map of Africa
Africa is a vast continent which, including island groups, holds 53 different countries. Africa stretches from temperate areas in the north to those in the south, and is crossed by the equator. The continent is bounded by the Atlantic Ocean, the Indian Ocean, the Mediterranean Sea, the Red Sea and the Suez Canal.
The climate of Africa varies with areas of arid desert to rainforest, to savanna plains and glorious coastal areas. Africa offers numerous cultural experiences, with a diverse cultural history and a dramatic story of colonial occupation to nation state independence. Africa holds a diverse range of wildlife and flora, vibrant cities, and a stunning landscape.
Hints and Tips for Africa
- Double-check your visa requirements though many citizens do not need a visa for a stay of 30-90 days.
- Expensive jewelry and fancy watches or cameras can make you a target for theft. At the same time, baggage theft is also known to occur in airports, so the best approach is to travel without too many valuables that cannot be replaced.
- Only drink from sealed water bottles as some may be refilled with tap water in less urban areas.
- Some medicines Western tourists may take for granted such as Benadryl/Dimedrol or Advil PM contain diphenhydramine, which is illegal in Zambia and can lead to a fine or even jailing. If you plan on traveling with medicine, double-check the legality of the medicine in the countries you plan to visit.
- If you do find yourself in a dangerous situation getting robbed, give the robbers whatever they are asking for and hopefully you will be relieved that you left your passport, and most of your credit cards and money back in a safe.