Map of South America
South America is a continent situated in the western hemisphere and, mostly, the southern hemisphere, and bordered on the west by the Pacific Ocean and on the north and east by the Atlantic Ocean.
As part of the Americas, South America is named after Amerigo Vespucci, who was the first European to suggest that the Americas were not the East Indies, but a New World unknown to Europeans.
South America offers a range of travel options - with stunning coastlines, vibrant cities, historic colonial towns, mountainous treks and the vast and bio-diverse Amazonian rainforest.
Highlights from South America
- Angel Falls, Canaima National Park, Venezuela
- Merida, Venezuela
- Amazon River Basin
- The Rio de Janeiro Carnival, Brazil
- Iguaçu Falls
- The Galapagos Islands, Ecuador
- Huascarán National Park, Peru
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Lake Titicaca, Bolivia
- Atacama Desert, Chile
- Wine Regions of Chile and Argentina
- Puerto Varas, Chile; Bariloche, Argentina
- Torres del Paine, Chile
- Ushuaia, Argentina
Hints and Tips for South America