Colonia del Sacramento


Advertisement
Uruguay's flag
South America » Uruguay » West » Colonia del Sacramento
March 22nd 2024
Published: April 25th 2024
Edit Blog Post

The bus station in Montevideo was actually very nice and the 3-hour journey to Colonia del Sacramento was easy. We arrived at the station and got tickets pretty quickly, with assigned seats. We waited in the main terminal which was nice and clean until it was time to board our bus, which was mostly on time. We were seated toward the back and continued to pick up people at some small stops along the way until there was standing room only, though it was not super crowded like I had seen on other buses in Latin America.

We arrived in Colonia del Sacramento a little after 12 and made our way 10 blocks (approximately 1km) to our hotel: Posada Plaza Mayor. It was a very easy, pleasant walk. I mean, two minutes in town and it already beat Montevideo. At the end of the walk, we entered the UNESCO World Heritage Site and saw the remains of the former fort, lighthouse and plaza. Just beautiful. We continued to our hotel first though, to drop our bags and we were able to check in. They were so incredibly friendly, and the hotel was perfect. There was a lovely courtyard with fountain and you entered the room from here, which was constructed of stone walls, keeping it cool. Yeah, we should have stayed here two nights instead of Montevideo...

After resting for a minute, we decided to walk around the plaza and then find somewhere for lunch. The hotel recommended a restaurant, but we instead went to Bohemia Bistro, right on the waterfront. Definitely a great choice! They were very friendly and we were able to get a table outside on the deck. We had starters of empanadas and eggplant with chickpeas (yum!!!). Then I got fish and L got a quiche type thing. Both good. We shared a bottle of rose wine, which was perfect for such a warm day. Then a dessert / drink to finish up - sweet flavored cocktails, which were also yum (I think I had an iced espresso martini).

After lunch, we wandered around the Old Town of this historical and beautiful city - an actual old town that was nice! The historical old city is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and was established in the mid 1700's after some fighting over the area between the Spanish and Portuguese. The area changed hands between the two forces about 7 or 8 times, which I think helps explain why the accent is so different here as compared with Buenos Aires. I described it as fast and slurred... perhaps the Portuguese influence? We saw some of the old fort walls with cannons and drawbridge. You could climb right up on the walls with great views to the sea. We tried to access the lighthouse, but they only accept pesos in cash.

We walked around the corniche area between town and sea, with a nice map of the old city in ceramic tiles on one of the walls. It was so beautiful here. The landscaping, colors, structure, sea views.... just lovely. You could see that this was a well defended location. The structures were well maintained and in good condition. I think many of the people who live here work on maintaining the site as I saw lots of landscapers out the next morning.

We walked around the entire area of old town, which also included a main street with shops and restaurants and seemed lively. It kind of reminded me of Santa Barbara actually. Then we went back to the hotel for a short nap. Then L had a desire to try this Mexican place for dinner, so we walked into the old town center to La Promesa, run by the sweetest Mexican lady. It was just the two of us, sitting at a small table outside, so she gave me a wrap to keep warm from the wind. We each ordered tacos, carnitas, birrias and asado. So delicious, but it was the spicy sauce that brought it home. We talked with her for a while and she even made L a quesadilla since he was just a little hungry (he always is).

Afterwards, we walked more around the city center and came across outdoor seating the was reminiscent of a scene from Romancing the Stone. This was just next to the Basilica del Salisimo del Sacramento. The parish is one of the oldest in the country from the end of the 17th century, but the current church is about 200 years old and built by the Portuguese. It was beautiful. It also had grounds with old foundations of the Governors House which were uncovered in the 1990's. It had a park-like setting with the beautiful buildings surrounding it. The town was just as peaceful at night as it was during the day. I wish I had another night here!

The next morning, I woke a little early to get some nice photos around the area, including getting back to the Basilica to see it in the light of day. I wandered down a few alleyways, not at all in fear for my safety! Then we had breakfast at the hotel at a small rooftop restaurant overlooking the sea. Just such a peaceful place to be. I could stay here forever.

We packed up our stuff and made our way back the 10 blocks to the ferry terminal. And holy cow, it was so busy! Such a change from the empty ride over! Security, customs, boarding, seating.... lots of waiting and lines. Apparently it was some kind of school break so a lot of people were taking the one-hour ferry to Buenos Aires. The ride itself was ok, but getting our backpacks.... chaos! This is not my happy places, so I found a spot to stand with as little interaction with people as possible. Yikes. We ordered an uber and had to walk out a little on the street to meet him because the pick up line was also long and chaotic. Still, it was not too bad, just busy busy! And now we are back in Buenos Aires for one final night!


Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 26


Advertisement



Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0219s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb