Eastern Europe - Day 55, 56 & 57- Dubrovnik


Advertisement
Europe
June 26th 2009
Published: June 29th 2009
Edit Blog Post

On day 55 we were due to leave Kotor to drive to Dubronik. We were very lucky and Kris had arranged us private transportation to take us between the two cities. This meant that we were actually picked up at our door and delivered to the city centre of Dubrovnik. The drive between the two cities was spectacular. It was one of the most beautiful drives that I have done in a long time. The weather was playing nice with us and the water was just divine. A gorgeous sparkly bright blue. We had to drive around the coast and in the water there were some little islands with churches built on them. It was like something out of Lake Bled fairyland. The border crossing were rather interesting and actually took an awfully long time to complete. And we didn't get any stamps in our passports either. There was a car in front of us that had license plates from New York and they seemed to be having a terrible time getting through the various border points. Ha ha.

When we arrived in Dubrovnik we were split up into two groups to go and stay in some local apartments (instead of a hotel). However someone somewhere managed to mess up all the names so there was total confusion and chaos about who was meant to go where and stay with who. A whole group of us ended up having to go up a slightly large and steep hill and one of the girls on the trip is rather large and also apparently has asthma (probably due to her size) and she really didn't cope well with the journey up all the stairs. And then when we got to the top I found out that I probably shouldn't have been staying up at this place, but instead should be at the place at the bottom of the hill instead. However the fat girl wanted to go down (so she didn't have to walk up the stairs all the time) so she was the one who ended up staying further down. All in all it was a little bit messy for the first hour or so.

After we had managed to sort out the accomodation we met up with the rest of the group again and then Kris took us off for an orientation tour on the old city walls of Dubrovnik. These walls were actually pretty lovely, however the entirity of Dubrovnik is ruined by the huge number of tourists that are in the city. There are just thousands of them and it it truely horrible. Apparently this isn't even peak season yet either. I just couldn't do it. After the orientation walk Susie, Kris and I bailed on the rest of the group and headed off to try and find somewhere that wasn't swarming with tourists to have something to eat. We managed to find a lovely little place that was practically empty. They had the most amazing pizzas and between the 3 of us we had the most anormous jumbo pizza that I have ever seen. And it was just delicious!

Following our late lunch we changed into our togs and headed off to one of the local beaches to have a swim in the Adriatic. Well at least I had a swim. Kris had a sleep and Susie just stuck her toes in the water. I however found the water delightful and had a lovely little splash. After that we had to go and have our final dinner with the group as yesterday was the last night of this part of the tour. I must admit that I am not all that sorry to say goodbye to most of the group that we have had this time. The group was nowhere near as nice as the group of people that we had on the last tour and some of the people I actually wanted to strangle. Here is hoping that the next group is a bit nicer.

Yesterday was a free day for me in Dubrovnik as the last trip finished last night and the new trip doesn't start until tonight. WONDERFUL. The day was therefore spent trying to avoid as many tourists as humanly possible. A lot of the last group wanted to go kayaking for the day and had arranged to go out on a kayak tour. However both Kris and myself would have rather slit our throats than spend the day with another tour group so instead we decided to try and lose all the millions of tourists and head out on the ferry to one of the island instead. This plan therefore saw us catching the 11:30am ferry off to Lokrum island. I have to say that Lokrum island was one of the nicest places that I have visited for a long time. This is probably because there were hardly any people there and after the horrors of Dubrovnik this is a most pleasant change. After a quick drink at a cafe Kris and I headed off to the beach (well at least the rocky outcrop that passes for a beach on the Adriatic). Of course we went swimming and I have to say that the water was just divine. It was a little chilly to start with but my goodness did it become lovely after a few minutes. Most of the day was therefore passed away in swimming and reading of books, as well as a brief sandwich and glass of wine in a cafe on the island. Heavenly. Especially as there were hardly any tourists there to bother us.

In the evening we had the welcome meeting and dinner for the new group of people who will be travelling with us from Dubrovnik to Athens. And I am afraid to say that the new bunch of people actually looks as though they may be worse then the last group. There are 3 ladies who have come from Brisbane who have faces set in what looks like permanent frowns. I have a wee suspicion that they may be the new complainers of the group. We also have 2 girls from NZ, an american couple and a guy from Australia along with the 4 of us that are continuing on the trip. We also said goodbye to Kris last night as he is not continuing onto Athens with us. We now have a new tour leader called Barbara who seems like a good hoot.

Today was officially day 2 of the new tour, however I skipped the new tour activities as they were the same as the ones that Kris took us on in Dubrovnik. Instead I met up with Susie and we headed off for a big walk out of the old town and towards all the resorts in Babin Kuk. This turned out to be a rather large walk and it took us about 4 hours. It was a lovely stroll however and we managed to finally see the area of town where most of the cruise ships tie up. There are 3 of them in town today.

Tomorrow we leave Croatia (thank goodness as it really is rather expensive) and head back to Montenegro.






Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.1301s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb