Dreamchasers 2023 Reflections on the Long and Winding Road


Advertisement
Thailand's flag
Asia » Thailand » Central Thailand » Bangkok
May 3rd 2023
Published: May 3rd 2023
Edit Blog Post

We have travelled 38,253 km on this Dreamchasers adventure. That is only 1,822 km short of the distance it takes to circumnavigate the globe. Accordingly, we have spent a lot of time in the air, in airports, and in taxis of various forms.

We have decided hands down that this Dreamchasers adventure has been one of the most rewarding we have experienced in years. This in spite of the many more travellers we encountered everywhere we went; the longer line ups at airports; the busy-ness of our island paradise in Koh Phangan; and the highly congested traffic conditions and extreme busy-ness of Ubud. We believe it has been so primarily because of our attitude to make it so. Happiness is a choice. This attitude is reinforced by the people we meet here, and why we return at every opportunity. We take a little bit of Thailand and Bali home with us every time we leave.

Our first blog entry for this trip was Thailand: The Long and Winding Road Leads Back to You. As I reread it, I am reminded that our intent on this trip - after a three year Covid imposed hiatus - was to approach everything with a beginner’s mind. This was inspired by two things. Firstly, we really did not want to risk compromising our enjoyment by comparing our travels to how things used to be, for nothing ever remains the same - as the only constant is change - and “comparison is the thief of joy“. Secondly, for me at least, I recognized that in recent years, pre-Covid, I had been becoming somewhat reticent about our travels, feeling less appreciative of the familiar places we were returning to, taking them for granted, instead expecting continuous fireworks. Activating the beginner’s mindset was, then, our conscious effort to rekindle the magic of travel adventure by being able to recognize and appreciate the joy to be found by simply noticing the daily miracles around us, and allowing things to unfold with whatever surprises might arise.

Thailand was a different experience for me this year. For the first time in many years, I did not commit to several yoga courses, creating a schedule which kept me constantly busy. Stan continued his daily yoga studies without me, which allowed him the opportunity to grow his practice independently, while I had time both to devote to my own yoga practice, as well as to discover the teachings and friendships of two other yoga teachers in my resort, learning much in the process from both of them. Other surprises that arose when I was present enough for them were teaching yoga classes, enjoying the community we found ourselves a part of, sharing live music within and outside of this community, enjoying the company of a canine friend, and enjoying the in-the-moment experience of studying a language I will never master. All of this was punctuated by a deep sense of calm inspired by the ocean that invited us to swim in the day time hours, lulled us to sleep in the evening, and offered an amazing backdrop for the incredible sunsets that reminded us every day that we are part of something so much bigger and more beautiful than we are alone. Beginner’s mind. Appreciating more. Expecting less. Letting the universe unfold.

Returning to Indonesia was another opportunity to re-experience the familiar and discover it in new, unfamiliar ways.

We have a home base in Ubud, Bali. We have returned to the same family run Balinese guest home every year we have visited Bali since 2014. We have often wanted to experience what it would be like to actually live in this town, as we would live at home in Canada - that is, not as a tourist, but rather as a resident, enjoying the home space and garden, cooking meals, and doing regular daily things like yoga practice, reading, walks, swims, and even laundry ☺️ - rather than filling every day with going out for meals every night, shopping or touring. This year, our time in Ubud was exactly that. After two months of eating out almost every night in Thailand, we were ready for a more simple lifestyle, and the current congested traffic situation in Ubud - that has converted the once simple venture into town to an ordeal - was all we needed to inspire spending more time at home, enjoying our magical little space with its beautiful gardens, stunning rice paddies and coconut trees. Our time in Ubud this year confirmed that we can slow down enough to simply live here.

But when we did decide to indulge ourselves with excursions outside of Ubud, the focus was all about diving, and those experiences were indeed highlights, about which I have already written extensively. We also discovered a new appreciation for Amed, Bali - an area we had previously visited, but rediscovered in a completely new light for its laid back vibe, along with the excellent diving.

And then there was that wonderful motorbike ride through northern Bali we had the great pleasure of experiencing recently with a Balinese friend. He guided us through remote backroads, and through numerous villages, where we were always greeted by the wide open smiling faces of the beautiful villagers. He led us through some of the most stunning countryside imaginable, populated by glorious volcanoes, endless lush green rice paddies, rice terraces, and rows of tall, majestic coconut trees. Three and a half hours of non stop touring left us feeling more than a little saddle sore, but not so much that we have not already made a plan for an even longer venture, or two, next year. The only problem is that we never had the opportunity to stop to capture photos, for fear of loosing our guide who was cruising ahead of us, further down the road. As such, much of that trip remains imprinted in our memories only.

We cannot wait for the next adventure to begin. First, it will be the one that awaits us in Canada, as we return to spend the glorious seasons of spring, summer, and autumn with our first love. And then, of course, if the universe allows it, we will return to our other loves, Thailand and Indonesia, once again next year.

Thank you for your interest in our travels 🙏


Additional photos below
Photos: 23, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

SunriseSunrise
Sunrise

Mount Agung is Bali’s most famous and majestic volcano, which we can see from our bedroom window every morning when the skies are clear. Waking up with Mount Agung is a humbling and beautiful way to start a day.
 Sunset Sunset
Sunset

A humbling and beautiful way to end a day.


Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0427s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb