Home Again in Ubud, Bali


Advertisement
Indonesia's flag
Asia » Indonesia » Bali » Ubud
March 21st 2015
Published: June 25th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Photo Opportunity with King RPhoto Opportunity with King RPhoto Opportunity with King R

Hindu mythology not being my thing, the rest of the name is a fill in the blank . . .but I think I got the king part right :)
After being on the road and moving regularly every few days for the past two and a half months, visiting new territory and revisiting some familiar places, we welcome the opportunity to once again settle in Ubud, Bali, for the next six weeks, where we will build a routine around our daily yoga study, my continuing study of the Indonesian language, music (of course), and just enjoying the cultural richness of this very special part of the world.

It was here that we spent the last few days with our son Tanner and his partner Annie before they returned home to Canada, bags overstuffed with a few samples of amazing Balinese artistry and craftwork. I also tagged along with them on a visit to Ubud's famous Monkey Forest, a tourist destination I had been well aware of but had previously avoided after hearing many accounts of the five hundred monkeys who reportedly live there, randomly attacking tourists and stealing sunglasses, cameras, and anything else they want periodically. So let's just say I was a tad bit paranoid, and don't have a great affinity for monkeys in the first place, given that my first encounter with a monkey as a child was to get my face scratched. But I sucked it up, tied my sunglasses securely to my head, clutched my camera with a steel grip, and decided to go for it.

There were monkeys. Many monkeys. However, I soon realized that the scenarios I had heard were more appropriately descriptive of rather stupid tourists who naively or otherwise create their own problems by either carrying bananas in their open bags, getting too near monkeys, thinking they are oh-so-cute, and generally not paying attention to their environment. We even met a father travelling with his young daughter who jokingly commented that his daughter had been bit by a monkey, but it was "no big deal, just a scratch, and all part of the experience"! It required a fair bit of restraint not to break into a lecture on the muriad of diseases that monkeys carry, not to mention adding what a careless idiot he was. Anyway, we had no close calls, were attentive at all times, and kept our distance, while numerous other tourists seemed to enjoy getting far more up close and personal in pursuit of that perfect photo opportunity! In the final analysis, the Monkey Forest was an incredibly beautiful, very old growth, ancient rainforest that covered a large area and is definitely not to be missed. Just don't forget to pack your brain with you when you go! I think I shall have to return again with Stan!

The other memorable event that we have experienced in Ubud to date is the Balinese celebration of Nyeppe Day, the Balinese New Year. The day itself is one of complete silence practiced throughout all of Bali, where everything is closed - including the International Airport - and no movement of any kind - pedestrian or motor vehicle - is allowed on the streets. Doctors on shift must stay overnight in the hospitals, as do other night shift workers, and the only vehicles allowed on the streets are emergency vehicles. It is a day of reflection on the past year, and the year to come, as well as a day on which to pay respect to the earth, giving it a day of rest by turning of all lights for the entire day. It is also believed that the silence discourages the evil spirits from returning, having been appeased by the creation of huge evil spirit representations by villagers
Early BeginningsEarly BeginningsEarly Beginnings

The tradition begins very early, with young children making, and carrying, smaller demon representations in their villages. Needless to say, there is likely some parental guidance and support happening behind the scenes.
everywhere in their honor, all of which were loudly and ceremoniously paraded the previous evening throughout the towns and villages of Bali.

As we take advantage of this opportunity to reflect, I must say that Dreamchasers 2015 has once again been an amazing travel adventure. We are thankful for many things, in particular the wonderful opportunity to travel with our son for almost a month and introduce he and his partner Annie to parts of the world that we have come to love. We have also been able to realize our goal of becoming Open Water Divers, and look forward to continuing that learning curve in the future. Not a day goes by where I don't feel very blessed for this wonderful life.

But the 2015 adventure is hardly over. I now am getting ready for the Yoga Super Bowl! Stan and I have already begun our daily two hour Mysore Yoga classes, which continue for the next two weeks, and resume again for our last two weeks before we head home. But there are two weeks in between the Mysore class schedule where I will be attending a week long International Ashtanga Yoga Conference and taking instruction all day long from six different world famous gurus, some of whom I have been studying for decades. These are some of the pioneers who introduced yoga to North America in the seventies! This will be followed by a week of instruction from Manju Jois, the son of Sri Pattabhi Jois, creator of the Mysore approach to Ashtanga Yoga study. I am so pumped. Like I said. The Yoga Super Bowl.

So no, this adventure is not over. Not by a long shot.


Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Village Community  PrideVillage Community  Pride
Village Community Pride

The creation of these demons begins weeks before Nyeppe, and involves the entire village community, from the construction, to the parading, and later the destruction of the Ogo Pogos.
Demon EyesDemon Eyes
Demon Eyes

Some of the demons had fabulous light shows to impress upon everyone when darkness came.
Fabulous DrummersFabulous Drummers
Fabulous Drummers

The photo is not great, because it was very difficult to capture these drummers who were moving so quickly, but they were fabulous and so into it. They provided the musical backdrop - complete with drums, grunts, chants and yelling, to accompany the movement of their demon, the thirty foot demon in the previous photo. And while they played, the young men carrying the demon on their shoulders would stop and sway the demon around, ominously. Very impressive.
Streets are AliveStreets are Alive
Streets are Alive

This s possibly the largest festival celebration of the year, and it goes on for hours. The parade began around five in the afternoon, congregated in the town soccer field, where judging took place, then restarted again for the night version, where the lights were turned on, the female dancers came out, and every village had its moment in the spotlight to perform on the town square.We left around nine p.m., but could hear the events continuing until midnight.
Coming Home to Our SerenityComing Home to Our Serenity
Coming Home to Our Serenity

This is just a glimpse if the beautiful, enchanting Balinese garden we are so lucky to call our yard during our time here.
Our Welcome Home BuddhaOur Welcome Home Buddha
Our Welcome Home Buddha

I am not exactly sure, I keep loosing count, but I think there are about thirty Buddhas in various forms in "our yard", each of which is gently illuminated at night. Beauty.
Bad Tourist Teasing MonkeyBad Tourist Teasing Monkey
Bad Tourist Teasing Monkey

Did I mention there are some tourists that just like to aggravate the monkeys? Well hello Tanner! Look at that monkey trying to eat your Go Pro. That oughtta make for some good shots. (Did I also mention that I don't particularly like monkeys?)
Monkey Butt FaceMonkey Butt Face
Monkey Butt Face

How would one ever know that a monkey's butt looks like a monkey's face? But here is proof.
Balinese Creativity is EverywhereBalinese Creativity is Everywhere
Balinese Creativity is Everywhere

Even on a parking lot fence.


24th March 2015

When we come to visit you it will be for New Years. Love the party, love the idea of a day of reflection.
25th March 2015

Darlings! Today I enjoyed a catch-up with your travels, your joy, and your serenity. A breath of fresh air, YOU ARE!!!! The world is ours to embrace, and you lead by example. May the remaining weeks be as inspiring as these installments. T
ake care of each other. Buckets of love to you both. xoxoxo
7th April 2015

Hello,Bali looks as beautiful as always. Susanne and I are enjoying the end of the winter season in Big White. It has been years since we have skied together but it has been just great...as usual. We looked you up...and you look like you
are enjoying life!! Take care....lots of love D'Arcy and Susanne.

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 9; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0667s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb