Volunteer with Help Our Penyu in 2011 (a community based NOT FOR PROFIT sea turtle conservation organisation) and help save the Sea Turtles of Malaysia whilst bringing prosperity and education to the local community.
We are based on the idyllic tropical islands of Perhentian, Malaysia where you will find chilled out beaches, world class diving and a friendly community welcome.
Volunteers are needed between March and October to help protect the nesting sea turtle population and their offspring. Over the last 50 years numbers have fallen drastically. The area was once world famous for it’s Leatherback population. This has now fallen by 99%!t(MISSING)o just 10 nests a year. Other species have followed suit with only the Green turtle holding a significant nesting population.
Development in the area has played it’s part as nesting habitats have been transformed into tourist resorts. Pollution has gone hand in hand with this.
The poverty faced by the local community has meant that the poaching and selling of turtle eggs is very tempting. 1 nest can reward a poacher with 2-3 weeks worth of wages!
As a volunteer you will undertake the following;
* Nightly beach patrols on a rota basis safeguarding two important nesting beaches,
* Data collection from adult turtles, nests and hatchlings,
* Surveys of forest and coral environments,
* Beach cleans,
* Assist in running weekly marine conservation and English language clubs at a local school,
* Run marine conservation info booths as part of a group at local resorts and beaches,
* Assist in teaching swimming skills (ability dependent),
* Assist with various art, recycling, community projects.
You will receive;
* All meals and accommodation for the duration of your stay, accommodation is on an isolated dive resort and then within the local village community,
* Transport from the mainland to the islands,
* Lessons in Malay,
* Opportunity to help save an ancient species vital to the marine ecosystem,
* Plenty of free time to explore the islands, undertake dive courses, snorkel or just chill on the beach.
Cost: Is dependent on number of weeks volunteering:
GBP£400 for 1 week,
GBP£599 for 2 weeks,
GBP£799 for 3 weeks,
GBP£999 for 4 weeks.
Contact: <snip> for a brochure and booking form - feel free to ask any questions about the project.
Happy Volunteering 😊