Lone Rock to Mesa Verde


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Utah
October 13th 2016
Published: June 24th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 37.4594, -110.354


Lone Rock Lake Powell
After doing some shopping, getting gas, and pumping out headed to Lake Powell and Lone Rock camping area. We had been in touch with our friends from Kanab and they were going to meet us there and kayak in the morning. Just like everywhere else, there were a lot of campers at Lone Rock. The area down by the beach is dry primitive camping but a nice area to camp. Were checking out where we might set up when horror, we got stuck! Had to unhook and tried to use our leveling boards to get out but it was getting worse. Up comes a lady driving her off road vehicle and offers to help us. We have a tow rope, she went and got her car. While she was getting her car, Stefan dug a ramp in the sand, and placed the boards making a board rode. She was able to pull us our and we made it the rest of the way to terra firma to set up camp! Had a great view of Lone Rock, and were where no one could camp in front of us.

Got set up and Sky and Bobbi arrived with
their friends but wanted to camp down in the thick of things so they went to set up and we said we would see them in the morning. Had a nice dinner of pasta, wine and laughs before calling it an evening.

The next day, Stefan and Robert got the boats aired up and Marianne and Laura fixed snacks for the paddle. Finally everyone was ready to go and we got the boats in the water and headed out to meet up with Bobbi and Sky and their friends. Headed over to the slot canyon. It is such an amazing thing, looks like there is just a small crack in the rock and then you are through and in the slot! Went up as far as we could before the water was thick with detritus from the rains.

Headed back and and to camp. Was a beautiful day to be out on the lake and the wind was cooperating with us so had no problems. Marianne swam for awhile before heading back to the camp. Fixed dinner and then headed over to Sky and Bobbi's campsite where there was going to be music. What a great evening of music, their neighbor on guitar, Sky on harmonica, Bobbi leading the singing. It was a very fun and enjoyable evening. Finally quiet time in the campground so we headed back to our campsite having had a full and fun day.



Wahweap Marina Lake Powell
Decided to move on to Wahweap campground. Said our goodbyes to Bobbi and Sky, got the boats loaded onto the car and headed over to Wahweap. Found a nice campsite and then washed clothes, and took showers. Was a real nice treat! There was a marathon going on from Page to Wahweap so there was a detour getting there. While we were washing clothes, showering and eating brunch, we cheered the runners/walkers on.

Got settled into our campsite, and put the bikes together for a ride. The wind had picked up but was not real bad. Biked over to the Marina, walked down to check out the big monster boats and then to the Bar where we enjoyed a drink overlooking the awesome views of Lake Powell. Back to the campsite for a taco salad dinner and more fine conversation.

The next day we decided to paddle over to the Wahweap Window across the lake. The windows are a geological formation that are two
arched windows to the other side. Parked in the parking lot near the sidewalk to the beach. Got the kayaks loaded up and Stefan and Marianne walked their boat on down to the water. We put our kayak tug together and were able to roll all the way down to the water. Much less effort that way!

Headed across and decided that on the way back we would pull into the Stateline Marina and load up there. The paddle was pleasant and the wind was not very bad and so we made good time. Got the boats onto dry ground and set off walking to the Windows. Found some cleared trails and finally made it there and enjoyed looking around at the various graffiti on the walls left by various people. The oldest writing we could find was from the 1930's. Had a snack lunch and then headed back to the other side.

It was easier to use the Stateline Marina because we were able to get the car right down to water's edge for loading. Secured the boats to the top of the car and headed back to camp. Had a rest and then decided to have dinner at the resort. Since the showers were there, took advantage of another nice shower. Were early for dinner and had a drink at the bar while waiting. Started talking to girl next to us and she had run in the marathon. Said the scenery was beautiful but it was quite a grueling run. She has traveled all over the United States running marathons!

Dinner was called and we had a great view out at the monuments across the way. Strange coincidences, one of the waiters came over and started talking to us. He was the bartender at the Colter Bay restaurant in the Tetons and we had spent a couple of nights visiting with him over the past two or three years and he recognized us and we did he as well. The dinner was delicious and back to the campground for a good nights sleep.


Lee's Ferry
Got up and broke camp and headed toward Lee's Ferry. The road from Page to Lee's Ferry is back open so a nice easy and beautiful ride. Of course the scenery keeps changing and is all so beautiful. The two campsites at the end overlooking the river were full so found one with a nice view,
covered table and set up.

We bicycled to the boat launch and watch some groups getting set up. Marainne went for a swim. The water was freezing so it was really just a dip! Back to the camp where we decided to grill some chicken and cauliflower. The wind was blowing but we managed to get the chicken and cauliflower cooked but had to eat inside because it was too windy to sit outside.

The next day we got loaded up and paddled to the alcove about 4 miles upstream. The water was not flowing very fast so we were able to make pretty good time. Made it across the strong current right at the alcove and beached the boats. Finally found a place to get up on the bluff and head over to the alcove. Some nice cactus as we walked along. The path up to the alcove has eroded/broken up and we decided not to bushwhack all the way up there. Nice lunch and had some ultra lights come overhead as we were eating.

The trip back was nice and we did some just lazy floating along on the current and back to the landing. A major expedition was getting ready to go complete with several motorized boats that were unloaded right by where we were breaking our gear down. Very interesting.

Back to camp and cleaned up and then went to check out the Lonely Dell Ranch. There was a group of volunteers that were coming out of the Paria Canyon that had been clearing out salt cedar along the river bank. Visited with them for awhile and enjoyed walking through the history of the Lonely Dell Ranch.

Back to the camp where we again grilled. This time we did sausage and a mushroom medley. The wind was calmer and we ate outside and had a nice evening listening to the sound of the river.

The next day we stopped at the Navajo Bridge to look down on the Colorado river and see if we could see any condors. In the past, we have actually seen condors but not this time. Sad note: At this stop we managed to leave our stepstool.


Grand Canyon
The next day, collapsed the boats and got ourselves loaded up and on the way. We were heading to the Grand Canyon. Stopped for lunch at the turnoff to the Canyon and then headed out. Stopped at the
Devil's Tower one of the first stops after you have entered the park. From the Park Service website....
"Modeled after ancient ancestral Puebloans watchtowers found in the Four Corners
region, the Watchtower, at Desert View, is primarily a rest and
interpretive area, offering limited food and drink service and a small
gift shop. The walls of the tower feature murals by Hopi artist Frank
Kabotie and you can climb the stairs to the top for an outstanding view of the Canyon and the surrounding area." The tower was designed by Mary Colter and was quite interesting but crowded and we did have some great views.Stefan had been to the Grand Canyon about 20 or so years ago, and so this was all very interesting to see all the changes since he was last here. Marianne had never been so this was an eye-opener for her.
Drove over to the area near the rim where all the lodges are and let them out to look inside the El Tovar lodge and walk down toward Bright Angel Lodge and check out the view over the rim. As with all other national parks, campground was full as well as all of the lodges.Decided to camp at the Tusyan RV park and campground which was not far from the entrance to the park. Fixed ourselves a nice soup and once again ate inside out of the wind. Got very cold that night but all did fine. The next day we drove back into the park and had a breakfast frittata on the rim and once again enjoyed all the views. Stopped at a few more of the pullouts to see another aspect of the canyon..

Flagstaff
From here we drove to Flagstaff to see if Laura's phone could be repaired and let Stefan and Marianne print out the reservations for their flight from Albuquerque to San Francisco. Laura's phone was declared DOA and so got a new one with advice on how not to ruin this one.

Got a hotel on the Route 66 and near a bus stop where we could catch the bus and explore some of old Town. Rested, cleaned up and caught the bus to old town and walked around and then went to the historic Monte Vista Hotel to have a drink and decide what for dinner. Decided to eat at Pato Thai and were not disappointed. We all had
excellent meals but the Green Curry Stefan had was very spicy!


Monument Valley and Valley of the Gods
Next morning load up and start heading toward Mesa Verde. Long day of driving but more beautiful scenery. Stop and have lunch outside the Burger King in Kayenta so they could go and see the Navajo Code Talker exhibit, and the outside exhibits of a hogan and a small museum. Drove along the edge of Monument Valley and decided to camp in Valley of the Gods one lasts time. Did not go all the way to our regular campsite but found a nice one not far off the road. Had a nice dinner outside where we grilled something and enjoyed the stars after dinner before calling it a day.


Mesa Verde
Got loaded up and headed to Mesa Verde and made it there before lunch. The campground is open and we discovered that you can still go on tours of some of the cliff dwellings and can drive to the overlooks and see some of the others. Went to the visitor center and the only tour available was to the Balcony House the next day. Signed up for it and then went and found a campsite
that is separated from the others and has a level place for the camper.

There have been several fires at Mesa Verde since we were there in the 80's and so is bleak looking in places. Stefan and Marianne went on a hike and Robert and Laura drove up and looked at the Cliff House ruin. Back when we were there in the 80's, you were allowed the crawl all over the ruin. Now, the preserve them, you must go on a guided tour and the last tour of the Cliff House was the day before we arrived.

Back to the camp where Laura and Marianne fixed green chile enchiladas while Stefan and Robert fixed the fire. Dinner was delicious, and the fire felt very nice as it was once again very cold.

Packed up and drove up the road to the Balcony House stopping for Stefan and Marianne to look at the Cliff Palace ruins and we all got out and walked see the Spruce House ruins. There were several small ruins as you walked along. You could not get all the way to Spruce House because of a rock slide but could see quite a bit.

Had lunch and then went down for the Balcony House tour. Had tried to get into a earlier tour, but was full. Very interesting ranger talk as we went along. Before we went told us what was going to be expected of us including having to climb a 30 foot ladder to get to the Balcony House and as you leave you must crawl through a 15 foot passage on your hands and knees.

The ranger did a great job of explaining the various structures we were looking at as well as making us try to figure some things out. We all did fine on the ladder and the crawl through the passage.

From here we headed to Abiquiu Reservoir to camp only to find that the campground was closed and so decided to push on to Santa Fe after a green chile burger at Lotta Burger in Espanola.

Santa Fe
Made it to Santa Fe and took only what we needed for the night..............wine, beer, sleeping clothes and coffee and milk. Visited awhile and got things ready for all of us in the condo.

The next day unloaded the closet, the car, the truck and reloaded things into the proper place and then Stefan and Robert went and
washed the vehicles while Laura and Marianne washed clothes.

That night took the bus downtown to Cowgirls for a last dinner and then back to condo for one last drink and laughs.

The next day took them to the train station and sent them off on their next adventure.



Additional photos below
Photos: 106, Displayed: 32


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.026s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb