Rocky Mountain "High"


Advertisement
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.8331, -104.822

85 degrees and sunny
72 degrees in the mountains
10,000 feet above sea level
1 pool
1 pizza
13 cool small towns
1 ski resort
1 inappropriately named store
1 gondola

Another amazing day. We decided to be adventurous by driving the scenic route into the mountains. Our only hesitation was time. 1 hour from Denver to Colorado Springs direct route. Scenic drive is a little over 4 hours. Our friends, the Rangel's suggested we drive west into Idaho Springs for pizza at Beau Joes and then drive the scenic route to Colorado Springs. This morning, I said, "we are doing it. I want to see more of Colorado." Everyone agreed and off we went with a John Denver album playing while driving down a "country road...Rocky Mountain High, Colorado."

Idaho Springs is about 30 minutes from Denver and the cutest little town. Loved it. Reminded us of Gardiner Montana a little bit. We got there just as Beau Joes was opening. We ordered ourselves a pizza on recommendation of the Rangels. Delicious. There were cute little shops. Elizabeth wanted to buy something in one little shop. I was looking around and saw the coolest tiny wooden guitar with a guitar pick that moved....around...the...hole....oooooh. Maybe we won't be getting that for Steve as a souvineer. I forget that there is more here than "high" elevation. Cool pipe though. 

All along, I wanted to go to Breckenridge but I thought it might be too far out of our driving range but we realized it wasn't on this route. We headed for Breckenridge to have a look see. I LOVED it there. Neat little town. I'm in love. Someday I'll (we'll) go back when it's covered in white but for today, it is beautiful in shades of green.
  
 First things first, the kids had to stick their feet in the river which was ice cold. There was a young boy trying to beat "someone's" record for standing in the river. He was in for 9 minutes. He only came out because his dad started worry that this non-mommy approved activity might end poorly. His legs were numb. We chatted it up with the boy's family and ended up giving them our blog link. They were so nice.

 We had lunch in this little restaurant called the Warming Hut. The food was unbelievably good. NO JOKE. Our adventurous and carnivorous daughter, Elizabeth, had the slider trio of bison, pork and short ribs. They were done to perfection and were delicious. Paul and I shared the chicken salad on a salad with lemon basil dressing and avocado and I think I will crave it forever. It was so good. We rarely order dessert but when the waitress came over and asked, "Would you like to try our Keylime p...?" It was a resounding, "YES" and their peach cobbler. Our food was so good that we had to try their dessert and it did not disappoint. Our waitress, Shelly, was so nice, too. 

What would visiting Breckenridge be without a Gondola ride up the mountain. A nice free family activity they offer in the summer. We went up 3 levels. I've never been on one before. It startled me at first when it takes off. It kind of launches at a decent speed. It was fun. We drove through the mountains through many cool little towns and by amazing mountain and valley vistas. It is gorgeous here. I am so glad we drove this. I didn't love Denver but now I love Colorado. 

I do have to say, the altitude in Colorado has gotten to my head a bit. I was tired yesterday and the margarita I shared with Paul went straight to my head. Today, up at 10,000 feet got to me more. I felt a little dizzy all day. NO COMMENTs. Paul has felt a little tired and short of breath and has had the hiccups all day. We aren't sure if its from the altitude or not. His hiccups started when we got off the gondola. It would make sense. Now they are just coming and going.  

We arrived in Colorado Springs around 6 and took a drive through the Garden of the Gods. Amazeballs!! So glad we did it. The entrance is breathtaking in itself. You will say, "Whoa!" when you get there. Our country is so amazing. The cool thing is that we can compare all the places we've been. We compared Garden of the Gods to the Badlands except its more green here. 
The balancing rock and everything here has been here for 60 million years. What?! How does a rock like that balance for so long. Crazy.

So we are staying at a Fairfield Inn in CS. The kids are swimming now. I think we will go to the Cheyenne Zoo as recommended by our waitress, Shelley who just went there and said it is one the best zoos she's been too. We try to take recommendations and usually they end up being some of our faves. Tomorrow after we explore CS a little, we will head to Taos for 4 nights to recoup and eat homemade food. 

Once again, we missed another storm passing through Denver today. Not a drop of rain for us. See radar pic again.
 


Additional photos below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



1st July 2015

Glad you took the "scenic" route. Looks like you're getting some use with the selfie stick.
1st July 2015

Love your blog. A couple years ago, we drove to Colorado and loved the trails of the Garden of the gods. We stayed in Breckenridge for 5 days...such a cool town! Have a great trip! We will miss you at the LPL event in Boston later this
month. Say hi to Paul!

Tot: 0.143s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0624s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb