Hotel Hobos


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Colorado » Denver
June 29th 2015
Published: July 21st 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 39.74, -104.992

85 degrees and sunny
339 miles
4 hours and 44 minutes
1 movie about Colorado
1 hour to wait for a burger and fries
2 stowaway flies
1  hotel upgrade

Today we headed for Denver. There is a lot of fields and rolling hills in Kansas. Once again we missed some weather that was heading southeast out of colorado. We had nothing but sun and we are ok with that. I drove the majority to Denver so Paul could do a little work and rehearse a little for "This Wonderful Life." Mark your calendars for the day after Thanksgiving. I listened to my playlist for a couple hundred miles and marveled at my ability to sing songs from every genre from rap to folk from my youth to current day and remember all the words. Think how many words are in a song and how many songs you know. Now go back to your school days....I remember nothing. They should be teaching with songs. Crazy thought. One of my faves, Steve Taylor Three, got me across the plains of kansas. Paul didn't care much for The Peter Piper (RunDMC). Hey I was born in Detroit and live off 8 mile down the street from the Booby Trap. 

We stopped for lunch at this cool looking diner called I-70 Diner. We almost had to skip Denver because our food took so long. We could have gone to mass in St. Louis and then received our lunch. The food was ok but Matthew's pancakes were so good. Everyone agreed. They were different. On to Denver.

We are now in Denver at a really nice Residence Inn Denver City Center. Great location. We got a room upgrade. Large room and nice view. We were a little taken aback by all the homeless people around. There is a nice street with stores and restaurants and homeless people. Elizabeth was uncomfortable. We didn't feel unsafe. I suppose you could say we are homeless for the time being. We are hotel hobos. " A hobo, unlike a bum or a tramp, is more than willing to work, but mostly for a short duration, as their main impetus is travel, the love of the journey above the actual destination." 

 We ran around town exploring. We found the money museum which is free and pretty cool. The kids seemed to like it and we got a free bag of shredded money as a souvineer. We also wandered around Union Station which is a functioning train station. It is really cool inside. They have kept the old train station feel but modernized. Lots of places to eat and drink. There was a big fountain for the kids to play in. They loved that. 

Tomorrow we head to Colorado Springs. We are trying to decide if we want to go the long way through the mountains for the short way. It's a big different of about 3 hours. You'll find out tomorrow what we did. 


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 27; dbt: 0.033s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb