Becki and Nanci’s European Adventure


Advertisement
Europe
October 7th 2023
Published: October 10th 2023
Edit Blog Post

This day did not get off to a good start!! we had asked for a wake up call at 5:30. Fortunately, both of us woke up because neither of our alarms went off. We also didn’t get the wake up call.

Once all this happened I thought I better double check on the taxi that was supposed to be arranged for us and found out there was no taxi. The young man at the front desk was very apologetic and hurry and arrange for a taxi and we continue to get ready and then go downstairs to make our way to the train station.

It was pouring the rain down. The streets look like rivers! It is hard to hold an umbrella over your head when your Dragon two suitcases but we made it to the taxi and to the train station.

Here’s where the fun begins! The minute we walked in the train station and looked at the monitor, we saw our train was canceled. Well, I had been at this train station before but we entered in a different place , so I didn’t even know where to find the main part of the terminal. We ask for directions and found the the ticketing area. The bad news was all trains were canceled because of the flooding so there was no way you were going to take a train out of Edinburgh and go north or south.

They were crowds of people everywhere standing in groups with the train station agents. We learned that the only way we were going anywhere was to walk a couple blocks, in the pouring rain, and catch a bus provided by the train company. The bus would take us to Newcastle, and then we board a train to continue to London. The problem is every single train that was canceled was rerouted by bus to Newcastle.

We got to the top of the hill and it was a mad rush for every bus that pulled in. We knew if we didn’t get in the mad rush we weren’t getting out of Edinburgh. We finally managed to get in get our luggage on a bus only to learn that our train line couldn’t get on that bus. It was maddening.

There was no cover anywhere, except maybe the doorways of a few buildings, so we stood in the rain for an hour and a half. It was cold and a few times a complete downpour. I kept asking each agent how they were going to get us all on the bus. One agent kept saying we’re going to queue, everyone, but she failed to get a queue going.

Finally one of the agents I had been talking with came over, pointed at me and said come on, and I said Nanci too, and he said yes so we got on the bus, the very last seats. We were soaking wet. Our luggage was soaking wet. and it was chilly! But we were on our way to Newcastle.

We eventually drove out of the rain and arrived in Newcastle. There really wasn’t much help from any of the Train agents there either. We learned that our train was leaving in 25 minutes from track 4. We hurry up and down the passenger bridge to find out we had to print out tickets clear on the other side. I left left Nanci with all the luggage and I ran back to the ticketing machines to print out our tickets. We board the train and somebody sitting in our seats. Bear in mind multiple people from multiple trains we’re getting on a single train so several people had the same ticket for the same seat.

My solution was to get off the train find the train agent and ask them what to do with us. He took us to first class. The whole time I’m wondering if someone’s going to come on and have a ticket for our seats that we are in first class, and eventually that happened. However, first class never completely filled up and we were able to remain there for the rest of the trip. I really can’t complain because we didn’t have first class seats to begin with, and in first class, you get free food.

It was an uneventful ride to London. Since the rain cleared up, there was lots of beautiful scenery particularly nice farms. We were able to take several pictures.

When we were arrived at the Balmoral house, we learned our room, the only room available, was on the top floor. We also learned that Flavio Martinez, our favorite hotel manager, wasn’t working. It’s the first time I’ve stayed at the Balmoral house that Flavio didn’t greet me.

We made it to the third-floor, to our room for the night, and began unpacking. It’s amazing how things can get wet inside the suitcase. What an experience! My inclination to leave Edinburgh on Friday night was a good one. Sadly, I didn’t follow it!

It was Saturday night so we walked up the street a few blocks to attend mass. It was a beautiful church called Our Lady Of The Rosary. They were very few people there when we arrived, but it didn’t take long for the church to fill up. It was very nice service.

Following the service, we walked back towards the Balmoral house and stop for dinner at a local eatery called The Monkey Tree Pub. We quickly learned that this is some kind of soccer tournament week, and the fact soccer fans were out in full force. We managed to have a nice dinner. Nanci had fish and chips, and I had a very good burger.

It was a short walk home, and we were surely tired and ready for bed!

Night all!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.348s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0863s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb