July 5 2014 Lake Bohinj sight seeing


Advertisement
Slovenia's flag
Europe » Slovenia
July 5th 2014
Published: May 28th 2017
Edit Blog Post

As no breakfast was included at our current hotel we wandered into town and found a local establishment that would feed us. Following this we went to the Tourist information to book a local sightseeing tour.

The tour started with a cruise across Lake Bohinj, a trip up to Mt Vogel in the cable car and a look around St. Peter baptist church.

Due to the environmental significance of the area the ferry was powered by electric batteries to reduce / minimise pollution. They were charged up overnight and had enough power to do seven return trips to the western end of the lake. The lake is 4.5 kms long, 1 km wide and 45 m deep and has a z12 km circumference.

We jumped on the Vogel cable car which took us from 500m AMSL to 1500m in 4.5 minutes. Fortunately for us it was the 50th anniversary of the resort and a number of activities were planned at the summit. Various "um pah" bands were playing and people in period dress were about. Gus tried to get interviewed by national tv but for some reason National TV wasn't fully interested.

I got a photo with a group of period cyclist but when I knelt down in front of then I knelt in stinging nettles. Fortunately, due to training which I can not discuss I was able to beat the pain and later used techniques taught to me by my mate "Bear" to reduce the swelling of the nettles. Generally wherever there is a poison in nature the antidote will exist nearby. Nettles are no exception and I soon found some "dock" leaves to rub on the hives. The pain and swelling disappeared.

The views of the Julian Alps was worth the trip to Mt Vogel.

After spending a few hours at the summit we took the cable car down and returned to the village to have a look at St Peters baptist church.

Gus talked the skipper into letting him drive the boat. (See photo)

The 17th century church is famous for its fresco paintings and in particular the one of St Christopher,the patron Saint of Travellers. The painting depicts St Christopher with six toes ( see photo). Various myths try to explain this:
1. The artist was attempting to say that we are not perfect but God is
2. The artist had six toes
3. The artist was drunk at the time of painting

Version 3 is the version most subscribed to. It is also believed that any person who looks at St Christopher will not die that day. Well! I'm going ok at only 4 hours to go !!
Further paintings inside the church were amazing.
The evening ended with a trip to a variety of watering holes and a restaurant.


Additional photos below
Photos: 20, Displayed: 20


Advertisement



Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0546s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb