Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Devils Marbles
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Devils Marbles
Latest Blogs from Devils Marbles
- March 16th 2013 From Darwin to Alice Springs
by Words: 2923 Photos: 25
- November 8th 2012 Barkly Homestead, Tennant Creek, The Devil’s Marbles and Wycliff Well
by Words: 909 Photos: 9
- September 26th 2012 Devil’s Marbles
by Words: 252 Photos: 7
- July 26th 2012 The Devils Marbles
by Words: 43 Photos: 16
- November 23rd 2011 THE DEVILS MARBLES
by Words: 148 Photos: 4
- November 21st 2011 BARKLEY HOMESTEAD
by Words: 292 Photos: 3
- September 12th 2011 Aliens, Devils and Ghosts.
by Words: 541 Photos: 8
- September 3rd 2011 Devil's Marbles and UFOs?
by Words: 665 Photos: 0
- May 8th 2011 Day 2 King River to Devils Marbles
by Words: 123 Photos: 1
- January 2nd 2011 Stuart Highway day 3
by Words: 271 Photos: 13
- November 24th 2010 THE DEVILS MARBLES
by Words: 972 Photos: 15
- August 9th 2010 The long, the short and the longest yet!
by Words: 527 Photos: 9
- December 8th 2009 The Devil's Marbles, Barrow Creek and UFOs
by Words: 2231 Photos: 13
- November 7th 2009 Big Round Rocks!
by Words: 718 Photos: 12
- October 21st 2009 Devils marbles anyone?
by Words: 521 Photos: 5
- October 20th 2008 Like a Rolling Stone
by Words: 1784 Photos: 15
- September 26th 2008 Day Thirteen and Fourteen
by Words: 1118 Photos: 25
- July 27th 2008 Tennant Creek to Alice Springs
by Words: 63 Photos: 4
- July 2nd 2008 Alice - Devils Marbles - Mataranka Springs - Kakadu
by Words: 340 Photos: 8
- April 22nd 2008 Darwin-Alcie Spring day 3
by Words: 140 Photos: 10