Background: Aboriginal settlers arrived on the continent from Southeast Asia about 40,000 years before the first Europeans began exploration in the 17th century. No formal territorial claims were made until 1770, when Capt. James COOK took possession in the name of Great Britain. Six colonies were created in the late 18th and 19th centuries; they federated and became the Commonwealth of Australia in 1901. The new country took advantage of its natural resources to rapidly develop its agricultural and manufacturing industries and to make a major contribution to the British effort in World Wars I and II. In recent decades, Australia has transformed itself into an internationally competitive, advanced market economy. It boasted one of the OECD's fastest growing economies during the 1990's, a performance due in large part to economic reforms adopted in the 1980's. Long-term concerns include pollution, particularly depletion of the ozone layer, and management and conservation of coastal areas, especially the Great Barrier Reef.
Photos from Lennox Head
No Start a Travel Diary Free Travel Blog Site
Blogs from Lennox Head
Latest Blogs from Lennox Head
- December 4th 2013 Liver Function Put to the Test
by Words: 2586 Photos: 26
- June 11th 2012 Wet, Wetter, Wettest!
by Words: 582 Photos: 10
- May 16th 2012 Lennox Head (part II)
by Words: 266 Photos: 1
- May 11th 2012 Lennox Head (part I)
by Words: 229 Photos: 2
- June 14th 2011 Blog Six: New South Wales
by Words: 706 Photos: 21
- October 10th 2010 Lennox Head
by Words: 110 Photos: 0
- June 24th 2010 Nearly there
by Words: 23 Photos: 0
- June 8th 2010 The Beginning
by Words: 46 Photos: 0
- April 8th 2010 And we are off again.....
by Words: 606 Photos: 8
- January 12th 2010 Gold Coast
by Words: 203 Photos: 6
- November 22nd 2009 Lennox Head - Happy Birthday To Me!!!
by Words: 303 Photos: 0
- January 15th 2008 ende 5th week and 6th week
by Words: 703 Photos: 0
- December 25th 2007 Christmas on the beach
by Words: 128 Photos: 2