Hitchhiking mud crabs


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » New South Wales » Lennox Head
November 27th 2014
Published: November 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

Last time I wrote I was so excited, delighted and full of happiness… I must say its still the same feelings and emotions inside of me. Right now we have parked the car on top of a hill south of Byron Bay called Lennox Head. The sun has just gone down and the rain is falling lightly outside. We are curled up in our van planning our next adventures and the following days expeditions… We ended up in this right spot because of a friendly soul. I will get back to that later. First I need to write about our last days in this massive but absolutely stunning country.

After flying into Brisbane on Saturday (I think ?! Its hard to keep track on what day it is…) we picked up our extremely extraordinary Wicked van from the Wicked Campers office just outside Brisbane. Its an absolute hippie van painted in pink and purple with “peace and love” written all over it. I LOVE IT! The engine sounds like it has been going for a while and the doors sounds like they might fall of but I think it’s a beauty. Travelling with style – like always. Its rolling and we can’t be happier.

Anyway, after picking up our beauty we drove up the sunshine coast north of Brisbane to surprise visit Mick’s good friend Scotty and his wife Jennifer. Scotty is a typical “aussi”. He knows how to live of the land, has a garage full of fishing and camping equipment and a big happy heart. He showed us how to catch mud crabs and we even got some for our dinner, delicious! Taste even better when you know you have caught them yourself. Him and Jen made as feel so welcome in their beautiful home.

After 3 days crab fishing and visiting beautiful beaches we decided to continue our trip down the coast to Byron Bay. We decided to drive inland to The Glass House Mountains that are located in a beautiful area full of trees and hills. I’m so amazed over all the different landscapes we drive trough every day… We stopped over night next to the Kondalilla Falls National Park where we had heard that there would be a 80 metres high waterfall! We tried to find it in the dark (of course) but decided after an hour walk to go back in the morning. Which we did. We found the waterfall which at the moment is a 80 meter dripping string! We did enjoy our morning hike tho! J

Next stop was at Sanctuary Cove where Greg and Debbie (more good old friends) lives. Sanctuary Cove felt a little bit like a gold resort. Pretty houses and lots of golf balls… and people are driving around in golf buggies. Anyway, we had a great day with Greg and Deb who showed us around, I saw my first Kangaroo (!!) and we spend the evening in their home (next to the river) having dinner, talking about life and fishing!

The next morning, which was this morning, we continued our drive down to Byron Bay. We drove passed Surfers Paradise on the way and stopped for some fish and chips for lunch. 40 min north of Byron we picked up Omar who was standing barefoot next to the road with a big happy smile. Picking up hitchhikers is one of the best way to get to know people and to get advices on secrets spots and hidden places. (Don’t worry mum, we don’t pick up people that looks like they are going to steal our car 😉 ) Omar told us all about where we should go and where we can find the best people and places. As I said – a friendly soul.

Now its time for bed… The rain and thunder outside our van will make us fall into a comfortable doze. It’s kind of peaceful. The sound of the rain makes me feel like we are in the middle of the storm but still in our own bubble that is full of happiness and silliness. Enough said… Goodnight people. The alarm is set for 5 o’clock am… we’ve got a sunrise to enjoy!

Love Sofie

Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0382s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb