Namibia


Advertisement
Africa
August 14th 2011
Published: August 20th 2011
Edit Blog Post

Me at Joe's BarMe at Joe's BarMe at Joe's Bar

Me and my 450g steak! :)
We travelled from Botswana to Namibia on the truck and arrived in Windhoek at around 2pm. We checked into our hotel and everyone was so excited because there were beds, hot showers and internet!! We sat by the pool until the sun went down and then got ready to go out. We went to a place called Joe's bar and I had a 16oz steak!! Also tried some crocodile! It was nice like chicken! Then much drinking was done including local lager and puncho which is a coffee tequila! The next morning is was an early start again as we headed to the waterberg plateau. It was a plateau in the desert and we all climbed to the top to watch the sunset. The next day we were off to Etosha National park. As we were driving to our first campsite we saw our first rhino! The next morning we were up at 5am for another morning drive and saw a cheetah! Then we went on a day safari in a jeep and saw loads more animals close up. Sadly no lions. That evening we sat by the waterhole at the camp and watched the elephants and giraffes come to drink.
Waterberg plateauWaterberg plateauWaterberg plateau

At the top of the waterberg plateau
The next morning was another long drive to Damarland. The scenery though was amazing. We went to a petrified forest where the trees have turned to stone over millions of years. Then we went to see some bushman engravings which were really cool. The next day we were up at 4.30am for the long drive to Swakopmond. Along the way we met some local bushmen from the Himba and Herera tribes. We also stopped along the skeleton coast to see a ship wreck. In the afternoon we had booked in to do quadbiking in the sand dunes. It was awesome! The views, adrenaline, weather were all perfect. An awesome end to a long day. That night we went out for dinner and a bit of karaoke! I'll say no more!
The next morning I had free so had breakfast and then went into the town with Sarah, Miika, Severi and Kristin to change money and do a bit of shopping. Sadly it was cloudy and cold and when we went to have a cup of coffee there was a power cut! Not a good start to the morning! In the afternoon though I went on a township tour of the local area and that was really good! I met local people and loads of kids. I dressed up in a tribal dress and we also ate traditional food including caterpillars! They were like prawns but a bit gritty! :/
The next day we left Swakopmund and drove away from the cloud into the Namib desert. It surely will be sunny in the desert?? It was another long day driving. We stopped at a place called the lunar landscapes because they resemble the moon and also crossed the Tropic of Capricorn! Then we stopped at a little town called Solitaire which apparently has the best apple pie in all of Namibia! When we arrived at our campsite we went into the bar and played a few cards. The manager then wanted us to be in his photoshoot to advertise the camp in the UK and gave us all free beer! Bonus!
The next day we were up bright and early, for a change, to climb the sand dunes. We were attempting to be at the top for sunrise which was at 6.15am. The dune was a 45 minute drive away and was called Dune 45! The walk was a hard slog but it was worth it! The views were awesome from the top! Missed sun rise though! Ah well! Afterwards we had breakfast by the truck and then we drove to a place called Sossusvlei. Here there was a place called Dead vlei where the water had dried up and all that remainded were dead trees! It was pretty awesome! Miika and Pedro hadn't had enough climbing of sand dunes so scaled another dune up the steepest side and then ran back down! Crazy fools! Afterwards we had the day free to chill by the pool, so we thought. However, by 1pm it was freezing and cloudy. By 4pm it was raining! In the desert! A hyper-arid desert no less which experiences less than 100mm of rain per year!!!! And it poured!!
Despite the conditions a few of us went to a nearby canyon called Sesriem Canyon and walked along the bottom. We even saw a horned adder. The night we huddled in the bar and drank tea to keep ourselves warm. Then ate dinner on the truck. Sadly I was on kitchen team so had to wash up in the rain! 😞 I have concluded I don't like the desert!!
The next day was another long day on the truck and guess what? Not a cloud in sight!!! Grrr! It was actually still quite cold and windy though. We arrived in the afternoon at Fish River Canyon. Then we went for a walk along the top. It was awesome! Then at the end of the walk, Alfie and Jules had a surprise for us: cheese and biscuits and champagne! Then we sat and watched the sun set over the canyon. Amazing! :D Definitely a highlight. Then it was back to the campsite to toast some marshmallows over the fire as it was still cold! 😞




Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

CaterpillarsCaterpillars
Caterpillars

These were the bugs I ate! Yummy!
The morning afterThe morning after
The morning after

The storm disappearing over the Namib desert


Tot: 0.094s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb