Background: Formed from the merger of the British colony of the Gold Coast and the Togoland trust territory, Ghana in 1957 became the first sub-Saharan country in colonial Africa to gain its independence. A long series of coups resulted in the suspension of the constitution in 1981 and a ban on political parties. A new constitution, restoring multiparty politics, was approved in 1992. Lt. Jerry RAWLINGS, head of state since 1981, won presidential elections in 1992 and 1996, but was constitutionally prevented from running for a third term in 2000. John KUFUOR, who defeated former Vice President Atta MILLS in a free and fair election, succeeded him.
Photos from Ghana
Blogs from Ghana
Latest Blogs from Ghana
- February 24th 2014 Akwaaba Ghana (3-3): Tamale, Mole N.P & more
by Words: 1166 Photos: 33
- February 16th 2014 Akwaaba Ghana (2-3): Elmina, Kakum N.P & Kumasi
by Words: 1472 Photos: 36
- February 10th 2014 Akwaaba Ghana (1-3): Accra, the capital
by Words: 1253 Photos: 33
- February 6th 2014 Frank and Virginia's Terrible, Horrible, Almost Very Bad Day
by Words: 1093 Photos: 27
- January 5th 2014 Games of Rest
by Words: 333 Photos: 8
- January 4th 2014 The Sword in the Stone
by Words: 1651 Photos: 29
- January 3rd 2014 Landowner!
by Words: 641 Photos: 15
- January 1st 2014 Millennium City
by Words: 941 Photos: 9
- December 30th 2013 Girls Day
by Words: 1632 Photos: 10
- December 29th 2013 Beach Bums
by Words: 769 Photos: 10
- December 28th 2013 13 Curves
by Words: 1469 Photos: 13
- December 28th 2013 Photos From Kakum
by Words: 10 Photos: 73
- December 27th 2013 Traffic and Art
by Words: 1229 Photos: 4
- December 26th 2013 To Ghana: The Journey
by Words: 798 Photos: 3
- December 25th 2013 Ghana Bound!
by Words: 62 Photos: 0
- November 9th 2013 Ghana - Home away from home
by Words: 94 Photos: 6
- October 21st 2013 Guess who has malaria and typhoid??
by Words: 431 Photos: 2
- October 19th 2013 Ghana week five!
by Words: 933 Photos: 9
- October 10th 2013 Best day thus far
by Words: 835 Photos: 0
- October 9th 2013 Already four weeks in!
by Words: 1197 Photos: 5