Background: Formed from the merger of the British colony of the Gold Coast and the Togoland trust territory, Ghana in 1957 became the first sub-Saharan country in colonial Africa to gain its independence. A long series of coups resulted in the suspension of the constitution in 1981 and a ban on political parties. A new constitution, restoring multiparty politics, was approved in 1992. Lt. Jerry RAWLINGS, head of state since 1981, won presidential elections in 1992 and 1996, but was constitutionally prevented from running for a third term in 2000. John KUFUOR, who defeated former Vice President Atta MILLS in a free and fair election, succeeded him.
Photos from Western
Blogs from Western
Latest Blogs from Western
- April 7th 2013 ...And to begin another chapter
by Words: 884 Photos: 0
- January 27th 2013 2nd Week In Ghana
by Words: 352 Photos: 17
- January 20th 2013 First Weekend
by Words: 189 Photos: 20
- January 13th 2013 Ghana Trip First Few Days
by Words: 40 Photos: 33
- November 7th 2012 Global Handwashing Day, HIV/AIDS Workshops and World AIDS Day!
by Words: 788 Photos: 6
- October 10th 2012 Workshops, Kakum National Park & Cape Coast
by Words: 1040 Photos: 8
- September 21st 2012 Safe Arrival!
by Words: 603 Photos: 5
- February 2nd 2012 Proud of Ghana's newest First aiders!
by Words: 280 Photos: 12
- February 2nd 2012 pure bloods...
by Words: 237 Photos: 0
- February 1st 2012 Thought I was going to die...
by Words: 406 Photos: 3
- February 1st 2012 its all voodoo you know
by Words: 397 Photos: 16
- January 30th 2012 Annie almost died - properly this time and My dad is cursed by a Ju Ju spell from my mum
by Words: 437 Photos: 13
- January 30th 2012 BLOG CORRECTION
by Words: 18 Photos: 0
- January 29th 2012 ive seen the Indian Ocean...
by Words: 317 Photos: 8
- October 4th 2011 Ghanaian plum porridge without plums ˚͜˚
by Words: 873 Photos: 72
- July 10th 2011 Marriage Proposal Round 2!
by Words: 447 Photos: 0
- July 5th 2011 Prince's Town and Beyond...
by Words: 787 Photos: 0
- July 3rd 2011 Abroni!
by Words: 695 Photos: 0
- July 3rd 2011 Quickie!
by Words: 294 Photos: 0
- June 29th 2011 From Accra to Takoradi
by Words: 777 Photos: 0