Background: Established in 1891, the British protectorate of Nyasaland became the independent nation of Malawi in 1964. After three decades of one-party rule under President Hastings Kamuzu BANDA the country held multiparty elections in 1994, under a provisional constitution, which came into full effect the following year. Current President Bingu wa MUTHARIKA, elected in May 2004 after the previous president failed to amend the constitution to permit another term, has struggled to assert his authority against his predecessor, who still leads their shared political party. MATHARIKA's anti-corruption efforts have led to several high-level arrests but no convictions. Increasing corruption, population growth, increasing pressure on agricultural lands, and HIV/AIDS pose major problems for the country.
Photos from Malawi
Blogs from Malawi
Latest Blogs from Malawi
- April 1st 2013 All work and now some play xxx
by Words: 1027 Photos: 0
- March 13th 2013 Days 23-29: Malawi with ‘Cheap as Chips wood carvings’, pig on a spit, and fresh goat; and fortune telling with a witchdoctor
by Words: 2253 Photos: 0
- March 4th 2013 Malawi .. Permacultura & Novos Projetos
by Words: 297 Photos: 3
- February 12th 2013 3 Weeks in....
by Words: 1981 Photos: 8
- February 7th 2013 Lazy Times in Malawi
by Words: 1429 Photos: 51
- January 21st 2013 Seeing zebra stripes
by Words: 1318 Photos: 64
- January 11th 2013 Back to Africa's Warm Heart
by Words: 936 Photos: 45
- December 21st 2012 African Trails- Zanzibar to Malawi
by Words: 1938 Photos: 0
- December 8th 2012 Leaving Kasungu and feeling a little emotional!
by Words: 664 Photos: 3
- December 6th 2012 What happens to a thief in Kasungu?
by Words: 1873 Photos: 10
- December 2nd 2012 I'm a celebrity please keep me in here!
by Words: 1554 Photos: 10
- November 29th 2012 Feeling full of beans, motivated and productive - a great week!
by Words: 1501 Photos: 9
- November 27th 2012 Traditional, Romantic Africa
by Words: 1113 Photos: 2
- November 25th 2012 Cry, laugh, or cry with laughter!
by Words: 645 Photos: 2
- November 23rd 2012 Wearing my heart on my sleeve
by Words: 1171 Photos: 1
- November 19th 2012 Starting work at the Good Health Youth Organisation
by Words: 628 Photos: 2
- November 18th 2012 One challenge after another!
by Words: 422 Photos: 1
- November 17th 2012 Arrival in Kasungu Town, Tatalalie Guest House
by Words: 852 Photos: 4
- November 16th 2012 Wow welcome to the warm heart of Africa - Malawi
by Words: 638 Photos: 2
- November 14th 2012 PIH/APZU Malawi Flash Mob!
by Words: 181 Photos: 3