Background: The 1991 to 2002 civil war between the government and the Revolutionary United Front (RUF) resulted in tens of thousands of deaths and the displacement of more than 2 million people (about one-third of the population), many of whom are now refugees in neighboring countries. With the support of the UN peacekeeping force and contributions from the World Bank and international community, demobilization and disarmament of the RUF and Civil Defense Forces (CDF) combatants has been completed. National elections were held in May 2002 and the government continues to slowly reestablish its authority. However, the gradual withdrawal of most UN Mission in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL) peacekeepers in 2004 and early 2005, deteriorating political and economic conditions in Guinea, and the tenuous security situation in neighboring Liberia may present challenges to the continuation of Sierra Leone's stability.
Blogs from Sierra Leone
Latest Blogs from Sierra Leone
- May 18th 2013 Masanga Hospital eventually
by Words: 669 Photos: 0
- May 17th 2013 Week 8 - Meeting the President!
by Words: 845 Photos: 18
- May 13th 2013 Week 7.... including more beach pigs!
by Words: 871 Photos: 8
- May 5th 2013 The long and bump road
by Words: 2086 Photos: 10
- April 30th 2013 Bringing communities together
by Words: 1127 Photos: 11
- April 29th 2013 HE The President, Buzz Lightyear and Danny DeVito... what more would you want out of Sierra Leone!?
by Words: 1296 Photos: 0
- April 17th 2013 'Di waves, dem mak you feel fine'
by Words: 1565 Photos: 50
- April 10th 2013 A good excuse for a party
by Words: 696 Photos: 7
- April 10th 2013 My birthday, Easter & more beach pigs!
by Words: 1699 Photos: 19
- April 10th 2013 Weekend getaway to wildlife sanctuary
by Words: 1259 Photos: 10
- March 28th 2013 Salone Wedding
by Words: 899 Photos: 5
- March 25th 2013 Week 3... off to Freetown
by Words: 1010 Photos: 13
- March 25th 2013 The Hash...
by Words: 2278 Photos: 10
- March 23rd 2013 Life at a mining camp...
by Words: 886 Photos: 6
- March 22nd 2013 Sorry I'm so behind!
by Words: 1041 Photos: 11
- March 21st 2013 Back to school
by Words: 1264 Photos: 5
- March 8th 2013 Beach Pigs
by Words: 847 Photos: 7
- March 7th 2013 Nature Clubs of Gola Rainforest National Park
by Words: 1187 Photos: 5
- March 6th 2013 Nearly Squashed a Biker last week....! and had a little accident yesterday... 2 blog posts in one!
by Words: 1406 Photos: 0
- February 27th 2013 Day 1
by Words: 402 Photos: 0