Background: The 1991 to 2002 civil war between the government and the Revolutionary United Front (RUF) resulted in tens of thousands of deaths and the displacement of more than 2 million people (about one-third of the population), many of whom are now refugees in neighboring countries. With the support of the UN peacekeeping force and contributions from the World Bank and international community, demobilization and disarmament of the RUF and Civil Defense Forces (CDF) combatants has been completed. National elections were held in May 2002 and the government continues to slowly reestablish its authority. However, the gradual withdrawal of most UN Mission in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL) peacekeepers in 2004 and early 2005, deteriorating political and economic conditions in Guinea, and the tenuous security situation in neighboring Liberia may present challenges to the continuation of Sierra Leone's stability.
Blogs from Sierra Leone
Latest Blogs from Sierra Leone
- September 24th 2013 The Physio Department
by Words: 542 Photos: 10
- September 23rd 2013 Leaving Masanga
by Words: 938 Photos: 33
- August 18th 2013 White wine, wet wipes and an unashamed request for help
by Words: 2149 Photos: 13
- July 17th 2013 Witchguns and the wet season
by Words: 1246 Photos: 15
- July 8th 2013 Heading north
by Words: 1687 Photos: 9
- July 1st 2013 Hidden Treasure
by Words: 1423 Photos: 10
- June 27th 2013 The Carbon Era
by Words: 745 Photos: 3
- June 20th 2013 Rainforest Schools
by Words: 1357 Photos: 7
- June 8th 2013 Mango mania
by Words: 2189 Photos: 29
- May 21st 2013 Week 9 - talking to the President...
by Words: 1213 Photos: 17
- May 18th 2013 Masanga Hospital eventually
by Words: 662 Photos: 0
- May 17th 2013 Week 8 - Meeting the President!
by Words: 845 Photos: 18
- May 13th 2013 Week 7.... including more beach pigs!
by Words: 871 Photos: 8
- May 5th 2013 The long and bump road
by Words: 2086 Photos: 10
- April 30th 2013 Bringing communities together
by Words: 1127 Photos: 11
- April 29th 2013 HE The President, Buzz Lightyear and Danny DeVito... what more would you want out of Sierra Leone!?
by Words: 1296 Photos: 0
- April 17th 2013 'Di waves, dem mak you feel fine'
by Words: 1566 Photos: 50
- April 10th 2013 Weekend getaway to wildlife sanctuary
by Words: 1259 Photos: 10
- April 10th 2013 A good excuse for a party
by Words: 696 Photos: 7
- April 10th 2013 My birthday, Easter & more beach pigs!
by Words: 1699 Photos: 19