Background: The 1991 to 2002 civil war between the government and the Revolutionary United Front (RUF) resulted in tens of thousands of deaths and the displacement of more than 2 million people (about one-third of the population), many of whom are now refugees in neighboring countries. With the support of the UN peacekeeping force and contributions from the World Bank and international community, demobilization and disarmament of the RUF and Civil Defense Forces (CDF) combatants has been completed. National elections were held in May 2002 and the government continues to slowly reestablish its authority. However, the gradual withdrawal of most UN Mission in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL) peacekeepers in 2004 and early 2005, deteriorating political and economic conditions in Guinea, and the tenuous security situation in neighboring Liberia may present challenges to the continuation of Sierra Leone's stability.
Blogs from Freetown
Latest Blogs from Freetown
- May 21st 2013 Week 9 - talking to the President...
by Words: 1213 Photos: 17
- May 17th 2013 Week 8 - Meeting the President!
by Words: 845 Photos: 18
- May 13th 2013 Week 7.... including more beach pigs!
by Words: 871 Photos: 8
- April 29th 2013 HE The President, Buzz Lightyear and Danny DeVito... what more would you want out of Sierra Leone!?
by Words: 1296 Photos: 0
- April 17th 2013 'Di waves, dem mak you feel fine'
by Words: 1565 Photos: 50
- April 10th 2013 My birthday, Easter & more beach pigs!
by Words: 1699 Photos: 19
- March 25th 2013 The Hash...
by Words: 2278 Photos: 10
- March 22nd 2013 Sorry I'm so behind!
by Words: 1041 Photos: 11
- March 6th 2013 Nearly Squashed a Biker last week....! and had a little accident yesterday... 2 blog posts in one!
by Words: 1406 Photos: 0
- February 18th 2013 Damn Mom! You packed my golfing socks with my soccer kit!
by Words: 730 Photos: 8
- February 4th 2013 Entering the Lioness Mountains
by Words: 915 Photos: 0
- January 23rd 2013 Photos so far
by Words: 22 Photos: 48
- January 22nd 2013 Road trip to the Tonkilili Mine
by Words: 608 Photos: 0
- January 20th 2013 sandwiches, Liberia and freetown
by Words: 516 Photos: 0
- May 19th 2012 Home from Sierra Leonne...
by Words: 401 Photos: 28
- May 18th 2012 Sierra Leone's proudest First aiders!
by Words: 159 Photos: 1
- May 17th 2012 Photos...
by Words: 3 Photos: 6
- May 16th 2012 just another day of bandaging and chicken leg breaking
by Words: 478 Photos: 0
- May 15th 2012 Toilet humour....
by Words: 204 Photos: 6
- May 14th 2012 WAR! What is it good for?
by Words: 483 Photos: 0