Background: Burkina Faso (formerly Upper Volta) achieved independence from France in 1960. Repeated military coups during the 1970s and 1980s were followed by multiparty elections in the early 1990s. Burkina Faso's high population density and limited natural resources result in poor economic prospects for the majority of its citizens. Recent unrest in Cote d'Ivoire and northern Ghana has hindered the ability of several hundred thousand seasonal Burkinabe farm workers to find employment in neighboring countries.
Photos from Burkina Faso
Blogs from Burkina Faso
Latest Blogs from Burkina Faso
- April 27th 2013 Malaria—it comes from the sun, right?: Beliefs from Burkina
by Words: 842 Photos: 1
- April 16th 2013 World Malaria Month!
by Words: 609 Photos: 0
- April 8th 2013 Let the HEAT begin--and an update of four months!
by Words: 1085 Photos: 0
- December 28th 2012 Mini Stay-cation Success!
by Words: 152 Photos: 0
- November 20th 2012 6 Down, 20 to Go
by Words: 478 Photos: 0
- October 19th 2012 Mali and Burkina
by Words: 2278 Photos: 10
- October 15th 2012 So THAT's what an African soccer game is like!
by Words: 283 Photos: 0
- September 18th 2012 So here's what's happened...
by Words: 418 Photos: 0
- July 1st 2012 Internet!!!
by Words: 1082 Photos: 0
- June 7th 2012 Ouaga - Week Zero
by Words: 210 Photos: 0
- June 1st 2011 Paying no Bribes
by Words: 1675 Photos: 24
- May 23rd 2011 And that's his century! A beautiful innings this one!
by Words: 1109 Photos: 3
- December 31st 2010 Burkina Faso - December 2010/January 2011
by Words: 1773 Photos: 32
- April 14th 2010 Testing, testing, does this thing work?
by Words: 337 Photos: 0
- December 28th 2009 Nog niet vertrokken
by Words: 274 Photos: 0
- December 4th 2009 Burkina Faso - West Africa ... Part 2
by Words: 2579 Photos: 111
- November 17th 2009 Vruchtbaar
by Words: 113 Photos: 4
- November 17th 2009 Techniek helpt een handje
by Words: 478 Photos: 1
- November 17th 2009 Busje komt zo
by Words: 514 Photos: 6
- November 17th 2009 Toerist
by Words: 127 Photos: 7