Background: Unstable Comoros has endured 19 coups or attempted coups since gaining independence from France in 1975. In 1997, the islands of Anjouan and Moheli declared their independence from Comoros. In 1999, military chief Col. AZALI seized power. He pledged to resolve the secessionist crisis through a confederal arrangement named the 2000 Fomboni Accord. In December 2001, voters approved a new constitution and presidential elections took place in the spring of 2002. Each island in the archipelago elected its own president and a new union president took office in May of 2002.
Photos from Comoros
Blogs from Comoros
Latest Blogs from Comoros
- April 21st 2012 Last Testimonial
by Words: 653 Photos: 14
- July 21st 2008 Ei lita oppsumering av mykje venting og litt paradis liv!
by Words: 1014 Photos: 0
- July 18th 2008 Mt Karthala
by Words: 709 Photos: 0
- July 16th 2008 Komorene!
by Words: 409 Photos: 0
- March 3rd 2006 just this and that
by Words: 69 Photos: 4
- July 1st 1999 Island hopping by small plane
by Words: 809 Photos: 13
- June 23rd 1999 A small jewel of an island in the Comoros archipelago
by Words: 1131 Photos: 20
- June 20th 1999 Wrecks from sea and air
by Words: 1189 Photos: 8
- June 18th 1999 Sacrifice a trip? Never!
by Words: 888 Photos: 7