Background: Angola has begun to enjoy the fruits of peace since the end of a 27-year civil war in 2002. Fighting between the Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA), led by Jose Eduardo DOS SANTOS, and the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA), led by Jonas SAVIMBI, followed independence from Portugal in 1975. Peace seemed imminent in 1992 when Angola held national elections, but UNITA renewed fighting after being beaten by the MPLA at the polls. Up to 1.5 million lives may have been lost - and 4 million people displaced - in the quarter century of fighting. SAVIMBI's death in 2002 ended UNITA's insurgency and strengthened the MPLA's hold on power. DOS SANTOS has pledged to hold national elections in 2006.
Blogs from Angola
Latest Blogs from Angola
- January 15th 2013 Interesting Hills - Pungo-Andongo
by Words: 112 Photos: 25
- July 19th 2012 Angola Part 2!
by Words: 3684 Photos: 34
- July 15th 2012 Angola Part One!
by Words: 1553 Photos: 0
- June 1st 2012 The adventures of Angola and Fortalez de Sao Miguel
by Words: 947 Photos: 4
- April 12th 2012 Angola Sights, Smells & Tastes
by Words: 160 Photos: 0
- April 10th 2012 Expolring Angola Day 1
by Words: 356 Photos: 15
- April 10th 2012 Angolana de Australia
by Words: 738 Photos: 0
- November 16th 2010 Angola
by Words: 729 Photos: 0
- January 14th 2010 Southern Namibia
by Words: 808 Photos: 49
- January 7th 2010 Death to make money
by Words: 316 Photos: 0
- October 31st 2009 Angola-breakdowns,mines and tanks
by Words: 556 Photos: 0
- July 28th 2009 Tanks, Booze and the Minibus of Doom
by Words: 4154 Photos: 5
- April 27th 2009 Only 97 days to go !
by Words: 178 Photos: 21
- July 18th 2008 Tim's Egypt
by Words: 918 Photos: 14
- July 16th 2008 Walkin' Like An Egyptian
by Words: 1403 Photos: 0
- November 26th 2007 Let the Good Times Roll!
by Words: 34 Photos: 11
- June 2nd 2007 blood and stone... why diamonds are NOT FOREVER...!
by Words: 1063 Photos: 0
- April 24th 2007 The long ride
by Words: 1597 Photos: 31
- April 17th 2007 The good old way of travelling
by Words: 2556 Photos: 36
- March 29th 2007 Next Chapter
by Words: 4874 Photos: 0