Background: From the earliest days of his rule following his 1969 military coup, Col. Muammar Abu Minyar al-QADHAFI has espoused his own political system, the Third Universal Theory. The system is a combination of socialism and Islam derived in part from tribal practices and is supposed to be implemented by the Libyan people themselves in a unique form of "direct democracy." QADHAFI has always seen himself as a revolutionary and visionary leader. He used oil funds during the 1970s and 1980s to promote his ideology outside Libya, supporting subversives and terrorists abroad to hasten the end of Marxism and capitalism. In addition, beginning in 1973, he engaged in military operations in northern Chad's Aozou Strip - to gain access to minerals and to use as a base of influence in Chadian politics - but was forced to retreat in 1987. UN sanctions in 1992 isolated QADHAFI politically following the downing of Pan AM Flight 103 over Lockerbie, Scotland. Libyan support for terrorism appeared to have decreased after the imposition of sanctions. During the 1990s, QADHAFI also began to rebuild his relationships with Europe. UN sanctions were suspended in April 1999 and finally lifted in September 2003 after Libya resolved the Lockerbie case. In December 2003, Libya announced that it had agreed to reveal and end its programs to develop weapons of mass destruction, and QADHAFI has made significant strides in normalizing relations with western nations since then. He has received various Western European leaders as well as many working-level and commercial delegations, and made his first trip to Western Europe in 15 years when he traveled to Brussels in April 2004. QADHAFI also finally resolved in 2004 several outstanding cases against his government for terrorist activities in the 1980s by paying compensation to the families of victims of the UTA and La Belle disco bombings.
Photos from Libya
Blogs from Libya
Latest Blogs from Libya
- July 22nd 2012 In Flight to Paris
by Words: 292 Photos: 0
- October 16th 2010 Libya 18-28 September 2010 in search of Ghadarfi
by Words: 366 Photos: 14
- August 7th 2010 New blog site!
by Words: 74 Photos: 0
- August 7th 2010 New blog site!
by Words: 73 Photos: 0
- April 6th 2010 Tripoli and on to Benghazi
by Words: 455 Photos: 3
- April 3rd 2010 beginning in Tripoli
by Words: 144 Photos: 10
- March 8th 2010 Working!!
by Words: 310 Photos: 10
- September 25th 2009 Visa to Libya
by Words: 75 Photos: 0
- July 1st 2009 Cuando un amigo se va...
by Words: 224 Photos: 7
- June 23rd 2009 British School.. (it´s a small world after all)
by Words: 319 Photos: 21
- June 11th 2009 Judoca africano
by Words: 72 Photos: 14
- May 16th 2009 Opera en el teatro romano
by Words: 133 Photos: 12
- May 2nd 2009 La escuelita de futbol de Regatta
by Words: 177 Photos: 21
- April 28th 2009 Cumple de Pepe.. 4 años!
by Words: 288 Photos: 18
- April 25th 2009 Llegaron los abuelos!
by Words: 239 Photos: 28
- April 22nd 2009 Pepe el modelo
by Words: 17 Photos: 11
- April 8th 2009 El zoo de Tripoli
by Words: 135 Photos: 20
- April 4th 2009 Feria Internacional de Tripoli 2009
by Words: 196 Photos: 8
- March 28th 2009 Mr Easter Egg
by Words: 570 Photos: 11
- March 7th 2009 Cumple Nº 3 de Santino... la mayoría de edad escolar
by Words: 275 Photos: 24