Background: In 1959, three years before independence from Belgium, the majority ethnic group, the Hutus, overthrew the ruling Tutsi king. Over the next several years, thousands of Tutsis were killed, and some 150,000 driven into exile in neighboring countries. The children of these exiles later formed a rebel group, the Rwandan Patriotic Front (RPF), and began a civil war in 1990. The war, along with several political and economic upheavals, exacerbated ethnic tensions, culminating in April 1994 in the genocide of roughly 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus. The Tutsi rebels defeated the Hutu regime and ended the killing in July 1994, but approximately 2 million Hutu refugees - many fearing Tutsi retribution - fled to neighboring Burundi, Tanzania, Uganda, and the former Zaire. Since then, most of the refugees have returned to Rwanda, but about 10,000 that remain in the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo have formed an extremist insurgency bent on retaking Rwanda, much as the RPF tried in 1990. Despite substantial international assistance and political reforms - including Rwanda's first local elections in March 1999 and its first post-genocide presidential and legislative elections in August and September 2003, respectively - the country continues to struggle to boost investment and agricultural output, and ethnic reconciliation is complicated by the real and perceived Tutsi political dominance. Kigali's increasing centralization and intolerance of dissent, the nagging Hutu extremist insurgency across the border, and Rwandan involvement in two wars in recent years in the neighboring Democratic Republic of the Congo continue to hinder Rwanda's efforts to escape its bloody legacy.
Photos from Rwanda
Blogs from Rwanda
Latest Blogs from Rwanda
- February 8th 2013 Ruanda .. o país me surpreendeu positivamente
by Words: 481 Photos: 7
- January 30th 2013 Rwanda
by Words: 683 Photos: 2
- January 8th 2013 I'm here!
by Words: 327 Photos: 2
- December 11th 2012 Anne: Gorillas!!!
by Words: 215 Photos: 2
- December 10th 2012 Tyson: Rwandan walk of shame
by Words: 471 Photos: 1
- December 10th 2012 Anne: I climbed a volcano!
by Words: 195 Photos: 3
- December 9th 2012 Tyson: Made it to Kigali
by Words: 209 Photos: 0
- September 29th 2012 Rwanda
by Words: 1978 Photos: 21
- September 19th 2012 Week II in Gisenyi - part 1
by Words: 671 Photos: 0
- September 13th 2012 Eerste dagen in Rwanda / Gisenyi - Part 4!
by Words: 605 Photos: 1
- September 12th 2012 The first days in Gisenyi - part 3
by Words: 364 Photos: 1
- September 11th 2012 Eerste dagen in Rwanda / Gisenyi - Part 2!
by Words: 658 Photos: 3
- September 7th 2012 Eerste dagen @ Rwanda => Gisenyi
by Words: 548 Photos: 2
- July 17th 2012 Remembering Genocide in Kigali
by Words: 843 Photos: 8
- July 16th 2012 Travel to Kigali on the right side please
by Words: 1083 Photos: 1
- July 3rd 2012 Final thoughts on Rwanda
by Words: 367 Photos: 0
- July 2nd 2012 Back to Kigali
by Words: 170 Photos: 0
- July 1st 2012 Gorillas in the Mist
by Words: 446 Photos: 0
- June 30th 2012 Kigali to Musanze
by Words: 318 Photos: 0
- June 29th 2012 Kigali - Gisakura
by Words: 163 Photos: 0