Background: The French Territory of the Afars and the Issas became Djibouti in 1977. Hassan Gouled APTIDON installed an authoritarian one-party state and proceeded to serve as president until 1999. Unrest among the Afars minority during the 1990s led to a civil war that ended in 2001 following the conclusion of a peace accord between Afar rebels and the Issa-dominated government. Djibouti's first multi-party presidential elections in 1999 resulted in the election of Ismail Omar GUELLEH. Djibouti occupies a very strategic geographic location at the mouth of the Red Sea and serves as an important transshipment location for goods entering and leaving the east African highlands. The present leadership favors close ties to France, which maintains a significant military presence in the country, but has also developed increasingly stronger ties with the United States in recent years. Djibouti currently hosts the only United States military base in sub-Saharan Africa and is a front-line state in the global war on terrorism.
Blogs from Djibouti
Latest Blogs from Djibouti
- February 17th 2013 Dubai and Djibouti
by Words: 397 Photos: 44
- February 17th 2013 Djibouti City and Lac Assal
by Words: 515 Photos: 16
- February 14th 2013 Djibouti!
by Words: 440 Photos: 8
- January 14th 2012 Djibouti Calls
by Words: 821 Photos: 12
- January 16th 2011 Painted walls
by Words: 429 Photos: 3
- January 12th 2011 Requin de Baliene
by Words: 639 Photos: 2
- January 2nd 2011 Whale sharks off Djibouti?
by Words: 1683 Photos: 31
- December 20th 2010 Close Encounters of the Best Kind
by Words: 680 Photos: 19
- December 19th 2010 Planet of the Apes, sans the Apes*
by Words: 1072 Photos: 88
- December 17th 2010 So, a funny thing happened on the way to Djibouti...
by Words: 991 Photos: 19
- November 4th 2010 into the rainforest and back to the beach
by Words: 519 Photos: 23
- February 14th 2010 The African Toll Roads: Buses, Trains & Bajajs Part II
by Words: 1575 Photos: 17
- January 22nd 2010 Djibouti?
by Words: 1183 Photos: 20
- December 4th 2009 Djibouti...Whalesharks...and a lot more!
by Words: 1069 Photos: 50
- April 8th 2008 French Somalia
by Words: 456 Photos: 3
- July 7th 2007 Djibouti- "French Somalia"
by Words: 440 Photos: 4
- April 9th 2007 The desert and the port
by Words: 817 Photos: 5
- December 28th 2006 Those were the days.......
by Words: 37 Photos: 32
- August 12th 2006 Ali Baba Revisited Lac Asal
by Words: 7 Photos: 13
- July 15th 2006 Rock and Khat
by Words: 190 Photos: 15