Lions are a girls best friend...but diamonds are forever.....


Advertisement
Africa
June 5th 2011
Published: June 5th 2011
Edit Blog Post

It was with great excitement that I embarked on an Animal Conservation Internship with Global Vision International (GVI) in South Africa at the beginning of April 2011. The internship incorporated 10 weeks of education and fieldwork followed by a three month work internship in the animal conservation field. I had carefully researched the internship and GVI and decided that they were an ethical organisation who cared about animals and the environment. I had been working in Africa for a year in the health field and returned home for a few months to work to earn the money to pay for the internship. During my time in Africa I had fallen in love with the wild places and the wild life - especially the lions and lioness - what fine and noble creatures they are. When I left to go the the internship I said to my friend: "I just hope I get on the lion project"

Lions...lion...lions.... Yes on the first day I found out I was to go to Venetia Limpopo Nature Reserve and hooray I was on the lion project. It was to be all about lions...tracking them...observing them...recording their behaviour and movements...and generally just hanging out with them...where-ever that may take us. The GVI lions research on Venetia provides data for research that is looking into the behaviours, genetic diversity and management of lions on smaller (and fenced) reserves in South Africa. It is hoped that this research will provide valuable information that will help in the long term survival of lions on small reserves in South Africa. I was so excited and honoured to be part of this project...it was a dream come true.

Lions...lions...lions.... I have heard people say they get sick of lions after a while and want to see something else, or they get annoyed when the lions are sleeping and generally not doing much. Not me. Any day containing a lion is a good day - whether they are sleeping, or rolling over, or preening, or eating, or hunting, or roaring, or doing any other kind of lion things. So life at Venetia was good. The first week was spent learning about the environment and the animals that habitate it in the morning and then looking for lions and other animals in the afternoon.

Venetia Limpopo Nature Reserves is located in the Limpopo Valley in South Africa and is owned by De Beers Diamonds (a diamond is forever). I must say when I found out that De Beers owned a nature reserve I was a bit surprised...the relationship between mining companies and the environment is often fraught with all sorts of challenges and contraversy. From the information provided to us during our orientation by GVI I understood that De Beers were and ethical company committed to the preservation of the reserve for little financial gain.

Lions...lions...lions..... It didn't take long to become attached and in awe of these amazing residents of Venetia. There was Blade - the pride male - big and strong he really had a mind of his own, he always gave you a certain look when you arrived and if you make a sudden movement or noise out of turn he would crouch down low, glare at you and decide whether to be bothered or not...usually he then just went about his business completely ignoring you...just wanted to give you a scare..he is the King of Beasts after all. Then there was Pikinin the lioness, strong and tough with a scar on her nose from a recent battle with a wildebeests (she won by the way). And he lady lioness Thika, she was incharge of the pride (don't tell Blade) it was on her direction that they went hunting or moved away or started preening themselves. Thika has two un-named cubs, one male and one female, who are 14 months old. They are getting cheeky and learning to stalk and hunt...and found great joy in stalking our vehicle when we left for the day. The little boy was more daring and adventurous than his sister who was a bit of a mummy's girl when it came down to it...she was never for from Thika's side.

Lions...lions...lions.... Living away from the pride were the subadults Marmite (male), Milo and Bentley (both female). They are three years old and fending for themselves. Milo and Bentley are always together and are growing into fine, strong lionesses with good hunting and survival skills. The elusive Mr Marmite is quite the character....immensely private and secretive he will let you see him...but only on his terms. He was frightened the last time he was darted for a radio collar change and check-up and has been a bit warey ever since. With recent developments on Venetia these may will be attribute that serve Marmite will in the future. He is developing his mane and is turning into quite a handsome boy with a nature and personality all of his own...wild and proud of it...that's Marmite.

Lions...lions...lions... They were in out hearts and in our minds... it was a privelege to share their world...every day a joy...even when Pikinin decided to stalk us in the twilights...she is not a lioness to be messed with!

Lions...lions....lions.... What happened next was horrifying. Our morning drive was cancelled due to a suddenly called meeting with the staff of the GVI base and De Beers Venetia reserve management. We were told that we would have a presentation after the meeting and they would tell us the news. Around the campfire that night an innocent question led us to suspect that something was up. We thought that something had happened to Blade. One of the volunteers said they may shoot him. I didn't beleive such a thing could happen but was worried he was sick or had done something wrong (like stalked a reserve worker or been agressive towards humans). I spent a restless night worrying about Blade but convinced myself that my fears were unfounded. The next morning when the staff returned from the meeting they presented us with an incredibly one sided presentation about hunting (it was an ominous sign). Then come the crash...in one week Blade would be hunted...and following that Pikinin. The world stood still...I was in disbeleif...I though I was on an animal conservation project and the last thing I would ever have expected was that the research lions would be hunted.

Lions...lions....lions.... The hunting of lions is outlawed in some African countries (eg Botswana, Uganda) but quite legal in South Africa. There is infact a popular arguement for hunting for conservation. Kill one lion....save the species!!! It is however a flawed arguement and not one I agree with. The senseless killing of any animal for sport is contrary to anything I can understand or beleive in. Killing is just killing. Killing a lion for a financial reward is a short term gain and unstustainable in any way. I am sure Blade's beautiful head is looking good on the wall of a wealthy hunter but the reality will always be that it looked better attached to his body, roaming and roaring through the wilds of Venetia.

Lions...lions...lions... GVI were aware that a big five hunt would occur on Venetia in 2011 from the second half of 2010 and they knew that Blade would be targetted (although Pikinin was a surprise even to GVI). No volunteer was informed that hunting would take place and I certainly would not have joined the intership if I had have been aware of this. GVI's research has been shattered by this decision made by De Beers but GVI have not voiced any kind of disapproval and did nothing to protect their research or their research lions. De Beers made the decision to kill Blade and Pikinin as the reserve was making a financial loss and trophy hunting is a lucrative business indeed. Other animals to be hunted on Venetia in 2011 include White Rhino, Leopard, Crocodiles and Elephants. De Beers Ecology Division run Venetia Limpopo Nature Reserve and must operate seperately from De Beers Diamonds. The question should be asked though...does a diamond company really need to kill research lions for money. De Beers Diamonds suffered a downturn of profits during the global financial crisis but made a staggering turnaround in profits in 2010. Sky news reported an increase in profit from 58million GBP (2009) to 540million GBP (2010)...I will let you work that one out yourself. The value of Venetia to De Beers is that is secures the water pipeline to the diamond mine so regardless of how much money Venetia does or does not make it allows the De Beers to continue to mine diamonds and turn massive financial profits.

Lions....lions....lions..... Africas greatest drawcard....everyone wants to see lions when they visit Africa...they are the backbone of the tourist industry. Unfortunately wealthy hunters will pay even more to see them...and to kill them.

Lions...lions...lions..... Listed as a vulnerable species. Lions have had a dramatic decrease in numbers over the past three decades and current numbers are estimated at between 10 and 40 thousand. At this rate some experts beleive that lions could be extinct within the next 10 to 15 years. Diamonds, however are forever of course.

Lions...lions...lions... So what is to become of the lions of Venetia. Unfortunately Blade was hunted on May 8th 2011 and Pikinin although still alive will be hunted soon. This will leave Thika (who is never apart from Pikinin) alone with her two cubs but without her entire family. Alone and traumatised who knows what life holds for Thika. The future for Marmite, Milo and Bentley is uncertain but they live with the possibility of hunting forever over their heads. Hopefully Marmite's elusiveness may be his salvation. Tell your friends about the lions of Venetia....about De Beers who sees fit to kill then and about GVI who stays silent...when they should be saving them.

"Diamonds only grow in the dark places of the earth, truths are found in the depth of thoughts" Victor Hugo.

For Blade - RIP my brave friend xxx


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



5th June 2011

murder on the safari
Heartbreaking story that needs to be read by all. RIP Blade xoxo
6th June 2011

A fantastic blog
Can't wait to read more about your adventures. I'd love to know more about your internship. I'll have to look that company up. Keep blogging.
8th June 2011

Thanks...there will be more...

Tot: 0.185s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.1376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb