Travel Itinerary


Advertisement
Africa
June 2nd 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Chester Lynn and KirstenChester Lynn and KirstenChester Lynn and Kirsten

Charlie's Angels

Charlie's Angels Africa Safari Travel Itinerary



Well, this is the kick-off of our travel blog. Kirsten, Ann (Chester) and Lynn, AKA Charlie’s Angels, will be traveling soon through South Africa, Botswana, Namibia and Zimbabwe on a 21 day safari. Yes, we know we don’t exactly look like the original angels, but the years have taken a toll on them.

Our intent is to try and do a travel blog along the way to share with our friends and family our latest adventures, mishaps (of which I'm sure there will be plenty) and general travel humor that we always seem to find. We can't promise a daily update, but will do our best when we find internet cafes to upload photos and tell you some of our stories.

The tour is a camping trip with partial participation. What does that really mean? No five start hotels and we have to help cook and clean, but all part of the adventure.

So to give you an idea of what we have planned, we have included our proposed itinerary.


• June 10 - Depart for Cape Town, South Africa (from Lagos, Denver and Omaha)
• June 11 - Arrive Cape Town and have day to see the city. Last night in a hotel for a bit.
• June 12 - Depart Cape Town and camp at Lambert's Bay Caravan Park (first night of real camping in tents and all)
• June 13 - Head for Gariep River and Fiddler's Creek Camp. Half or full day optional canoe trips among other things. (pretty sure we will be in the water on this one)
• June 14 - Cross border into Namibia and head to Fish River Canyon for a hike around canyon and view of awesome sunsets. Lodging at Canon Roadhouse.
• June 15 - Continue to Namib National Park and the giant sand dunes of Sossusvlei, one of the world's oldest deserts and the highest sand dunes in the world. Lots of adventure activities including hikes, hot air balloons, and light aircraft flights. Camp at Sesrium.
• June 16 - Namib Naukleft National Park to climb the sand dune and watch a magnificent sunrise (they come really early) and then proceed to Sossusvlei, proceeded by a 5KM walk to the dunes and other activities.
• June 17 and 18 - Travel to nearby Swakopmund where we have 2 nights in a hotel (YES real showers and beds) located between the sea and the desert. Time to enjoy many activities including beaches, deep sea fishing, quad bikes, dune boarding, flights over dunes, kayaking, horse back riding, dolphin cruises, paragliding, and sky diving. Not sure how, but we will fit all of these in on those 2 days. We will also be celebrating Chester's birthday on the 17th. So maybe we'll get to see how the locals celebrate the birthday of a almost middle aged spinster.
• June 19 - Journey through granite moonscape scenery to Etosha National Park for our first big Game safari. Lodging at Etosha National Park Rest Camp.
• June 20 - Early morning game viewing and drive to waterholes, back for lunch and another game drive in the afternoon. We better see the big cool stuff or we will want our money back.
• June 21 - Travel to Waterberg Plateau National Park which has become a haven for many endangered species and has incredible rock formations. More hikes and game drives.
• June 22 - Travel to Gobabis near Botswana border and overnight at a private game farm.
• June 23 - Cross border into Botswana and off to Maun the gateway to the Okavango Delta. (Delta is PC for swamps) Preparation for journey into the Delta via mokoro, a small dugout canoe.
• June 24 - Early morning rise and 3 hour journey into the Delta in a mokoro and arrive at the Bush Camp. (Guessing if we make it there without tipping canoe it will be a miracle) Game walk with the local guides. Over night in the Bush. This translates into getting eaten alive by bugs and no sleep because there are way too many sounds in the bush that we do not recognize.
• June 25 - Okavango Delta - hikes and activities in the Delta. - Overnight in the Delta. Finally so tired that bugs and unknown critters no longer bother us and we can sleep.
• June 26 - Travel by mokoro and back to base camp near Maun and set off for overnight at Nata Lodge, Botswana.
• June 27 - Chobe National Park and the Kasance and Chobe Safari Lodge on the banks of the Chobe River. Sunset game viewing. The Park is famous for its huge herds of elephants, hippos (this is not a reference to Chester and Kirsten), crocodiles and birds can be seen along the river cruise.
• June 28 and 29 - Short drive to Victoria Falls one of the eight natural wonders of the world. Explore the falls and other activities including white water rafting, river boarding, elephant back safari, helicopter flights. Camp at Victoria Falls Rest Camp.
• June 30 - Transfer to airport and fly from Victoria Falls to Johannesburg then to Omaha and Denver
• July 1 - Arrive Omaha and Denver with a lot of great memories and really smelly clothes.


Advertisement



5th June 2008

Holy crap!
Holy crap-now that's an itinerary! I'm excited for you! It sounds very outdoorsy....as you know, I am not. We'll have to compare notes on international savageness when you get back and when I get back from Roma. I wonder who's more savage....a toga-clad Roman or some gourd-wearing bushman? Could phil be any more clichéd? I'm thinking...yes :) Bon voyage!
10th June 2008

Off you go!
Sleep on the plane.
11th June 2008

Woohoo!
I was thinking of you all day today and wondering how the first travel day was going. I'm so excited that you're giving us updates throughout your trip! Have fun! Be safe! Can't wait to hear more! Love and hugs, Krissy!
12th June 2008

Good luck girls!
Best of luck on what sounds like a truly fun adventure! Can't wait to read about how you all are doing. Make sure you send pictures of you three "cougars" out on the prowl!!!
12th June 2008

You are brave. ..
Wow, girls! I take my hat off to you roughing it in the African bush. Can't wait to hear all the stories and adventures. And, I am really interested to hear how you handled the much discussed "how are we going to shave???" Have a wonderful time and stay safe!! N.
15th June 2008

This sounds like a great trip. Hey Chester where is your shot? Are you going non alcoholic this year? ck
15th June 2008

sounds good
Be a good girl. Stay sober. Keep Manchester in check. Send me the name for the members of this years dirty thirty. Mom
17th June 2008

Happy Birthday Chester!
Happy birthday Chester! Hopefully you will be able to find a couple beers to celebrate with. See you in a couple weeks.
11th June 2009

living vicariously
living vicariously living vicariously living vicariously

Tot: 0.167s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 7; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0972s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb