Welcome to the Travel Forums

Why join TravelBlog?

  • Membership is Free and Easy
  • Your travel questions answered in minutes!
  • Become part of the friendliest online travel community.
Join Now! Join TravelBlog* today and meet thousands of friendly travelers. Don't wait! Join today and make your adventures even more enjoyable.

* Blogging is not required to participate in the forums

Extend trip to South Africa!

Me and my boyfriend are thinking of going to SA for around a year, hopefully more and are finding it hard to find enough information about the visas/permits that we need to be able to tell whether it is actually possible for us to do.
9 years ago, February 17th 2015 No: 1 Msg: #188776  
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Me and My boyfriend are looking into staying in South Africa for a year and upwards, part of the time we will be staying with his Grandfather in Knysna, we are also hoping to volunteer for a while and perhaps travel along the coast working in hostels.
The problem is I have been trying to find out what permits and visas we would need but nothing quite seems to fit what we want, neither of us are students or have recently finished education, and we when we first go over we will probably stay with his grandfather so won't neither of us will have a job offer to go to.
If anyone has any information that will help it will be very much appreciated, as I am so lost and so confused after trying to find out what we need.

Many thanks

Ruby Reply to this

9 years ago, March 15th 2015 No: 2 Msg: #189337  
I don't know specifically about South Africa, but many countries (particularly 'first world' ones) don't allow you to go and live there for a year unless under a scheme like work abroad or with a work permit. You are usually restricted to about three months. Sometimes you can cross the border and renew your visa, or get a new visa in a neighbouring country but I don't know if that would work in South Africa. Reply to this

8 years ago, June 23rd 2015 No: 3 Msg: #191552  
I have gone there for spending vacation with the help of Ask- Aladdin and staying there about 2 months. The travel company was provided me Visas for staying. So I don’t know exactly about one year. But you can stay there some months. Egypt is the best tourist place in world. If you want to enjoy the beauty of there then go. Reply to this

8 years ago, July 10th 2015 No: 4 Msg: #191874  
In response to: Msg #188776 Hello Ruby, I stayed in South Africa for a year. As a tourist, you get 3 months only. If you find an immigration officer in a good mood, he/she might extend this once...I don't know, maybe because your grandpa is sick or whatever. I really believe though that this can't be repeated, i.e. this gives you 6 months. I was volunteering - now this is a different matter. To get into this category, you need a letter from any kind of SA business/organization whatsoever, certifying that you do free charitable/conservationist work.... this gave me an additional 6 months. As mentioned by other travelers, getting out of the country and coming back is also an option. The period you have to stay outside of SA will again depend on the mood of the immigration officer who is supposed to stamp you in your new visa.
Well, good luck to you, and enjoy the fricking awesome SA. Reply to this

8 years ago, July 20th 2015 No: 5 Msg: #192064  
Hey Ruby -

Where are you from exactly - as this will determine what you are entitled to when trying to visit South Africa. Most tourists are granted 90 days in the country and you are not allowed to work during this time. You can apply to extend your tourist visa for up to 6 months - but there is no guarantee if this will be approved or not.

When it comes to visas that allow you to work, I had several options as a UK citizen. There is a list of 'skills' that are in demand here in SA - if you are qualified in any of these and have the supporting proof then you could apply for a 'Quota Work Permit' or a 'Special Skills Visa'. They are not easy to get, but if approved they give you temporary residence here for up to 5 years.

Hope that helps - your best bet for most up to date info (as SA is making some massive changes currently to immigration rules) is to contact a local immigration lawyer to find out your options. Try <snip> and see if they can help.

Thanks, Kate
[Edited: 2015 Jul 24 11:12 - traveltalesofawoollymammoth:258356 - No URL addresses please]
Reply to this

Tot: 0.046s; Tpl: 0.004s; cc: 3; qc: 26; dbt: 0.025s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (; sld: 1; ; mem: 987.4kb