Nothing to see...but Wales!!


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
September 24th 2010
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

En route to Hawaii


The 2nd full day at sea, Honolulu bound. At 11am the bridge made an announcement that Whales could be seen off the starboard bow.

"Bloody hell!" Chris exclaimed, 'we haven't come very far. Where are we now? Just passing around the Great Orme??!'

In reality (and Chris actually knew this but couldn't resist the chance) there were 2 young hump back whales blowing less that 50 yards from the hull of the ship. Chris and Roisin just so happened to be at the right place at the right time (but minus a camera so you'll just have to take their word for it!!) It's a pity there is no such species of whale called a klingon otherwise Chris would have paid to hear the navigation officer say, yes, you've guessed it, “Captain, Klingons off the starboard bow!!” I apologise but, as they say in the business, it's a slow news day!!!

Germans update: There are approximately 450 Germans on board!!

The thermal spa is beginning to become an addiction. The stone beds are heated and curved to follow the natural contours of your torso. This, coupled with the gentle rocking of the boat can easily sway one in to a state of total relaxation and meditation. I wonder if Buddha had one of these when he found enlightenment. It would have made his job so much easier!!

Afternoon tea has also become a ritual is this short space of time. The waiters and waitresses where again keen and eager to please, queuing up to serve up all sorts of goodies. They always appear impeccably dressed in their uniform and white gloves. The tea is served from silver service and their sandwiches even have the crusts cut off.

One of the waitresses, whose turn it was to serve the jam and cream for the scones looked vaguely familiar. I struggled to look at her name badge and as she was serving, without a second glance said, “ Yes, it's me, Nadia!” If she has a false beard and nose and lifted them up as she mutters these words it would have been a truly Clouseau-esque moment!!

Tonight was the first gala evening where dress is formal. Evening dress or gown for the ladies and tuxedo or suit and tie for the gents. There was a champagne reception on decks 5,6 and 7 in the atrium where the captain made a speech and the professional photographers were out in force.

The atrium is a fantastic piece of architecture and design and would be fit for any high-class establishment anywhere in the world. It is hard to believe that it is part of a 118,000 tonne monolith floating 2 and a half miles above the ocean floor.

Chris and Roisin enjoyed a leisurely stroll on the promenade deck after dinner and were in awe of the ‘moon trail'. No photo can do this justice. In the pitch black of the ocean night, a silvery ghost like signature trails off away from the ship. The sea is illuminated by this remarkably naturally occurring show of light - the full moon. It is difficult to appreciate in a city with so much light pollution but Chris and Roisin never knew the moon could shine so brightly.

Most of the shows tend to start at 8.30. This is too early, as Chris and Roisin don't sit down until 8pm for dinner. However on passing the theatre at about 10pm this evening, they wandered in on hearing music.

The auditorium was completely full. There must be at least seats for 700 persons. The entertainment was in full swing doing a medley from Billy Joel. Thinking that the show was near its end, the cast then moved in to a medley by Elton John, then, Barry Manilow. Even Liberace got in on the act. The show must have only just begun as Chris and Roisin stood for nearly a whole hour mesmerised by the professionalism and chic (if a little camp at times!) performance. The live band only served to enhance the quality of this entertainment. Little did Chris and Roisin know that the Princess Theatre's series of shows had started with one of the strongest performances. Not all were going to be of this highly entertaining standard. In fact some would turn out to be down right embarrassing!

The UK clocks go back on October 31st from BST to GMT. That's nothing compared to what Chris and Roisin will experience in the next few days. Hawaii is 3 hours behind San Francisco which is 8 hours behind the UK. The clocks go back by 1 hour tonight then by another hour on Saturday night and the yet another hour on Sunday night. Chris and Roisin will arrive in Honolulu at 7am on Monday morning. By this time they will be 11 hours behind the UK.

Hawaii is about 2100 miles from the coast of California. The ship has now travelled 936 miles. Blimey, they're not even half way there. Hopefully provisions will last but the way some people are shovelling food down their necks, like it's their last meal, one can't be too sure!!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0215s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb