Day 3 and still at sea!!


Advertisement
Oceans and Seas » Pacific
September 25th 2010
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

STILL en route from San Francisco to Hawaii


This is Chris and Roisin's 3rd day at sea without sight of land, any other ship or plane. The sun is beating down relentlessly. Provisions ran out some time ago. Despite there being an ocean full of the stuff, water is no longer available. (although they're still serving cocktails in the Explorers bar, deck 7!!) Teody, their cabin steward has offered himself to be eaten. He says it would be a great honour and privilege to be consumed by such nice people. On the plus side, Roisin learned how to decorate an egg!!!!

There is a wide diversity of people on board from all walks of life. Chris and Roisin have yet to find another couple that are still gainfully employed. There are those who are seasoned travellers and have amassed over 150 cruise days with Princess.

Princess Cruises, like most other cruise lines offer a loyalty scheme. Depending on how many cruises or cruise days one has amassed signifies the loyalty level and benefits to be enjoyed. During this cruise, Chris and Roisin will be promoted to gold level and thus becoming a member of the Captains Circle. The next level is Platinum for over 50 cruise days followed by the 'elite' level (black) for over 150 cruise days.

Some of the passengers wear their ‘black' cruise cards on a lanyard around their neck. Bloody show-offs! One of the benefits of this show of loyalty to the "Company" is free access to the internet. Chris is hoping to become bosom buddies with one of the ‘elite'. You never know. Get them pissed! They may let their password slip!!

The Officers and Crew also come from a variety of nations. So far Chris and Roisin have spoken to crewmembers from the UK, Australia, South Africa, Russia, Romania, Italy, Ukraine and Mexico. There are the usual array of Philippinos of which Teody, the cabin steward is one of many. They are all very pleasant and can't do enough to help (refer back to paragraph 1 of this entry!!!). Unfortunately this is not reciprocal and Roisin and Chris have already witnessed some rudeness toward the crew. Waving them away and speaking to them in an abrupt manner.

There are a number of tournaments being organised such as tennis; virtual golf; various quizzes; soduku etc…souvenir medals are awarded for the winners. Today it was the ping-pong tournament. Looking at the number of Chinese and American Koreans on board, Chris and Roisin decided to abstain for reasons of ‘we've seen the Olympics and we know how this one ends'.

Despite there being over 2600 passengers on board, there is never a shortage of sun loungers. At around 6pm Chris and Roisin settled at the thermal spa pool for a relaxing dip before dinner. The area was deserted and they had the pool to themselves. It's probably the best time to go as most people are taking an afternoon nap or getting ready for their evening meal. It is a surreal feeling splashing around in a pool on board an ocean going vessel.

A larger than life American joined Chris and Roisin in the Jacuzzi. He has an apartment in Honolulu. Chris's joke about nipping home to get a clean pair of undies went completely over his head!!

He had led a fascinating life working for the US military being stationed in many south Pacific islands during his career setting up communication systems. He spends most of the year with his wife roaming around the US in an RV motor home. 10 years ago he decided to leave his job as a university lecturer and take a sabbatical by buying a motor home and travelling North America for 3 years. 10 years and 3 motor homes later, they are still doing it!! He still manages to maintain his apartment in Hawaii. One day, during this cruise, Chris is going to ask these people, what's their secret?

He did give Chris and Roisin some good tips when visiting Honolulu. It is so easy to travel around by bus costing only $2.25 per journey. 2 of the major attractions in Oahu are Pearl Harbour and the Diamond Head crater. There are also Princess organised tours to these places costing about £40 each!! Not cheap when you consider entry to both these sites are free and within short bus rides away!

On returning to his cabin from the Lotus Spa, Chris passed an oriental gentleman donning one of the Sapphire Princess winner's medals. ‘Looks like the ping pong tournament has ended', he thought!!!

Sheets are provided on each destination prior to arrival with all sorts of interesting facts and places of interest. Chris and Roisin have now received these sheets for both Honolulu (Oahu island) and Lahaina (Maui island). There is a desk on deck 6 that provides this service and a board shows which tours are no longer available or full. Surprisingly, despite these prices most of the tours have already sold out. The only tours that still have availability involve some sort of diving or snorkelling. Unless they make special water wings for zimmer frames, it's unlikely these tours will sell out!!!

Chris treated himself to a genuine Hawaiian shirt. When in Rome…or should that be Oahu??

Advertisement



27th September 2010

Still fascinating reading. Do you get to watch the footy, what's the snapping like and how much is a pint?
27th September 2010

Hopefully you don't get to watch the football on board as the results of both teams have been awful!!You look very dapper in your tuxedo - will the next airing of it be at the Chrostmas Party? Have a great time

Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 31; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb