Day 30 & 31


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
July 10th 2015
Published: July 10th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Awoke to the local commercial fisherman heading out from the boat ramp this morning. After talking to locals, these guys normally net for mullet and flounder. As the flounder head out to coast for winter, mullet is what they are catching with the odd stray guest flounder.

Headed to Atiu Creek Regional Park after breakfast (10 minutes drive along the road from Port Albert on the Okahukura Peninsula. This park is one of the Auckland councils largest parks at 843 hectares. The wind was blustery and cold as we headed around the Oruawharo River Trail. This track takes a loop around the perimeter of the farmland (minus the forest). Lots of large hills to climb, but all on good farm tracks with great views down to Atiu creek and across the farm. They have the flashest woolshed I have ever seen (I hope they clean those sheep before they put them in there!). Walking up on the ridgleline at the top it got pretty cold. The track takes about 2.5-3hrs (We manage to do it in 2.5 hrs with an added detour out to Ti Tree Point Trail).

After recharging and warming up with a coffee we headed around the peninsula and also down to Journeys End (Okahukura). Here you can see across to the Kaipara Harbour entrance. Shame the weather was not clear to take a decent picture. Back to Port Albert Wharf for the night.

Day 30 has seen us backtrack to Warkworth to organise a Gas specialist (for LanceJ) actually, for our fridge as it has decided to get a block in the line. Met our daughter (aka The Golden Girl) there as she is spending a few days with us. Quick shop then out to Snell’s Beach for a walk. Both Lance and I can’t believe the growth in houses out this way. Our final stop tonight is Martins Bay, parked up right on the Beach for 3 nights.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 9; qc: 17; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb