Day # 28 & 29


Advertisement
New Zealand's flag
Oceania » New Zealand » North Island » Auckland
July 7th 2015
Published: July 7th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Baby, there's a shark in the water........... Great Whites and lots of them were seen here at Shelly Beach earlier this year. Plenty of warning signs so I guess swimming is out of the question. Had a fairly relaxed day with a earlier than normal start to watch the sunrise and a bit of fishing off the wharf. The only thing caught were a couple of sharks😊. This is a lovely restful spot so 2 nights here have been a good option.

Today we headed North to South Head. On the way detoured to have a quick look at Lake Kereta (Sand Dune based Lake). Locals and DOC are desperately trying to save this Lake from Ecological disaster (In other words it has a weed problem). The views on a fine day from the ridge above this Lake would be stunning as apparently you can see down the coast towards Muriwai but today the Weather Gods were on vacation. Our big plan today was to get far as we could North (till the road stopped) then venture down the steep track to Mosquito Bay. Arrived to severe thunderstorm, lightning and hail. Lance could hear the bombs going off at the RNZAF Bombing Range ....but really I think it was thunder! Weather was starting to really set in so we bailed on the Mosquito track before high tide and the potential not to be able to drive out. The disappointing thing about South Head is you actually don't get a view of the Kaipara Harbour entrance as the Bombing Range is a NO GO ZONE. We have been told by locals they do open it up on a Sunday but they still don't think you can get to the Northern point of this headland.

Called into Parakai Hot Springs thinking we would stay but changed our mind as it was chaotic with School Holiday crowds. Final stop after a fairly big day is Port Albert (Kaipara side of Wellsford). Raining cats and dogs and some good wind gusts will make for interesting night.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0355s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb