Windjana Gorge National Park (Monday 2nd June - Wednesday 4th June)


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia
June 4th 2008
Published: June 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

We pulled into the spectacular vista of Windjana Gorge, a 3.5km gorge formed over millions of years by the Lennard River winding its way through an ancient limestone reef. The rock wall formed by the river is shaded red and orange and spans up to 100 metres and provides a beautiful view from the camp.

We were all very keen to set up and go for a cool off swim in the gorge. So we popped on our bathers, packed the towels, goggles and snorkels and walked into the gorge. The sight that met us was not conducive to swimming - hundreds of fresh water crocs sunning themselves. Still in positive spirits we continued walking down the gorge marvelling at the amount of crocodiles and how close you could get to them. We decided that if we continued walking up the gorge we would find a rocky pool with less crocs that we could swim in. After about 4km of dusty trekking and children complaining we had to concede that there would be no swim that day. After a sweaty hike back with kids on our backs we headed straight for the cold showers - that would have to do for today.

We enjoyed a quiet night at the camp ground cooking damper and roasting marshmallows around our camp fire.

The next day we headed off to Tunnel Creek National Park. The tourist attraction being a creek which tunnels through the Napier Range for 750m. We clambered over large boulders to enter the cave which started with a pool of thigh deep water which we waded through. The 750m of cave were spectacular with sections of river, sandy banks, rocky outcrops, stalactites, and stalagmites, bats, fish etc. etc. There is a cave-in about half way through where light streams in but for the rest of the walk you are plunged into darkness, so necessitates following the torch light.
When we reached the end of the cave the girls had a quick swim in the river as a large water monitor was sunning itself on the rivers edge. We then turned around and meandered our way back through the cave.
This was a fantastic and enjoyable experience for all of us. I think the kids learnt more in this 2 hours than in a whole week at school!



Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement



Tot: 0.103s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0589s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb