BUNBURY TO WALPOLE


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Walpole
August 5th 2013
Published: August 6th 2013
Edit Blog Post

The weather people said that there would be a slight break in the rain for two days so we made a run to Walpole to visit the Valley of the Giants and the tree top walk, something we have wanted to do for some years.

We drove stopping only for lunch in a small layby. The forest around the road was wonderful. Even though the road is narrow to make it wider would be a huge undertaking because of the number of massive trees which would need to be removed, all old growth I imagine.

We passed through some lovely little towns on the way and have decided to stop off on the way back and visit Balingup. It has a medieval festival each year, but it will be too late for us. The decorations were already in place, lots of jesters everywhere. They burn dragons here.

When we got to Walpole we turned into the first caravan park which we came across, the Rest Point. It is more than a little "tired" needing a lot of work and money injected to bring it up to standard but the outlook is magnificent. It is situated on an inlet with beautiful water views and lovely trees surrounding us (not actually in the park which is stark). The noisiest thing is the kookaburras upon waking each morning and the magpies during the day. The facilities we are using are old, but clean. I won't even front the other set.

On setting up camp we had difficulty getting the appropriate TV reception to be able to watch the football Carlton vs Fremantle. We asked around and apparently the area has just changed over to digital and there are huge problems with reception, most people have had to go over to satellite. Must be all the trees. One fellow told us to go over to the big shed and there was a screen showing the football over there. He reckoned the screen was bigger than our van. Yes right.

We wandered over to what was once a boatshed and discovered the fellow was correct, the screen was bigger than our van. A projection box had been set up and a theatre in place which can show movies and TV. The owners have foxtel and put it on for you on request. When we got there one fellow was watching complete with his lunch box because he planned to stay for the two consecutive games and he lives up the hill, the owners kindly let him watch whilst he is waiting for his satellite to be connected. As he is a pensioner and there is a problem in the area it is taking a long time. We watched the game and the result was great for us. Freo beat Carlton which gave Port Adelaide a one game lead over Carlton to stay in the final eight, only there by percentage before. Next day we fronted up for the showdown (Adelaide vs Port Adelaide) rushing back to the van between quarters to make another pot of coffee. Another victory and Port is two games in front of Carlton.

First thing Sunday we headed out to the Valley of the Giants to explore, the weather bureau was predicting showers later in the day. First you do the tree top walk. Chris is not good with heights and the first thing we discovered is that if you look down between your feet you can see the ground. Eyes front only. The walkways are narrow and very sturdy with great balustrading. it is only when getting to the platforms she became disoriented and wobbly. But it was well worth it. The views were splendid, you really are up there among the tree tops, above the canopy in places and some of the trees still tower above you. They can get to 75 mtrs high and we were only 40 mtrs. The walkways seemed to bounce rather than sway and the platforms seemed to sway rather than bounce.

Once we were off the walkway we came across a huge tingle tree. I had Graham pose in front of it (photo 15). He was a metre and a half in front of the trunk and you can see it both sides of him. When I stepped it out the base was 4 of my large strides - probably 3.5 mtrs. Huge.

We wandered along all the walkways and everywhere we turned we saw the most wonderful things. Photo 22 is a great example. The base of a huge tingle tree appears to be dead and if you look to the right you will see that there is one branch which has grown from the base and is alive, amazing. Loved Grandma Tingle and when I saw the tree root (photo 25) I could imagine this as a base for a glass table somewhere.

Having completed the walk we went back to the reception area to explore the shop and it began to rain! 48 hours later it still is raining and tomorrow is predicted to be worse when we are planning to head back towards Bunbury, even lightening is expected. What the heck, we managed a beautiful experience in the little bit of dry we had. Another off the bucket list. Too wet to go and climb to the other lookouts without getting drenched.


Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



6th August 2013

Amazing
we've read about them but having never seen them they are well worth the trip. Grandma Tingle has my feet...bunions, corns & funny bumps. Again a special mention of the photography. Mr Grumpy looks rather relaxed with his book. Cheers. B & R
6th August 2013

Wow that looks stunning, photos are great, that's my kinda sightseeing. Stay safe Lynley
6th August 2013

G'Day Mate
Well it's cold here and I am well and truly rugged up but have had a great afternoon travelling across my wonderful country and enjoying your stories and photos. I am a bit with Graham - bit wary of the tree top walks although I would love to do it. Take care. Carol
8th August 2013

Pity the poor people who were on the walk with Alias. He likes to jump up & down, side to side (consider his waif like build). All was good until we turned a corner and saw a few ladies holding onto the railings with white knuckles.

Tot: 0.123s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0751s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb