BACK TO PERTH VIA BUNBURY


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Western Australia » Perth
August 17th 2013
Published: August 17th 2013
Edit Blog Post

We stayed longer in Walpole waiting for the rain to pass on. Dream on as they say. After a couple of days we got caravan fever and had to go out in the inclement weather and do some sightseeing. It cleared up a little, so it wasn't too bad.

Firstly we went to the John Rate lookout which offered a small glimpse of the inlet where Walpole is situated. When I zoomed in with the camera it was quite nice to look at. Once more this is nestled in a glorious stand of timber and the Bibbulmun Track meanders past. We went off searching for the Diamond Tree and couldn't find it. Chris thought it was close to Walpole, wrong, as we found out one the way back to Bunbury it was over 100 kms away. Then we wandered off to Coalmine beach to check out the caravan park Richard and Gill stay at. It looked like a lovely shady park but you have to back into the bays and that is something we still haven't conquered.

We drove down to the beach and picnic areas and discovered a really nice beach and the picnic/BBQ area is lovely. In the BBQ area is where we located the tree fungi which is shown in our photos. On our way back to the car I kept seeing three parrots flying around and they kept moving off when I got close enough to photograph/identify them. After chasing them around the car park for about 15 minutes I managed to get photo and they have been identified as the Western Rosella. Since we have been in WA birdlife has been sadly missing, the only other real identifications I have come across are the pelican in this blog and a mountain duck on the way down from Perth.

On our way back out from Coalmine beach we came across a couple of roos who were grazing on the side of the road. They just sat there and watched us and had no intentions of moving. We slowed, opened the window and took photos and talked to them, they ignored our conversation.

On our way back to the caravan park we detoured into Sandy Beach and took a couple of photos there. Everywhere we go around Walpole is clean of rubbish, has toilets and seating. They have a great attitude to attracting and retaining their tourist trade.

On Wednesday morning we decided it was time to head off, the rain wasn't easing and the outlook was horrid. As we progressed up the road the rain became torrential and there was nowhere to pull off and wait it out. If you have ever driven the road from Walpole to Bridgetown you will know what we mean. At one stage we had a line of traffic behind us and came across an overtaking lane. As we moved into the beginning of the lane we noticed there was a very slow moving road train in the left hand lane, so we tried to stay in the right lane. The impatient person in the black sport car (no lights on in the half light of the forest and teaming rain) just moved out and passed us forcing us left. Another 4 cars followed him. We however had to brake sharply and multiple times to try and slow down (the water was flowing across the road) and Graham managed to slow the car when we were about 5 feet from the back of the truck. We figure the only thing which saved us was that we were towing the van and going uphill otherwise we would have plowed into the back of the truck.

By the time we got to Bunbury Graham was stressed and exhausted. We drove onto the front lawn, got what we needed from the van and went inside. Richard and Gill were in Perth and had left us with a key thank heavens. After lunch and a shower we decided to leave the van where it was and deal with the vehicle the next day. The van was so badly parked we figured Richard would have to rescue us.

Richard and Gill arrived back on Friday evening and we decided to go to Balinyup on Sunday together because we had missed it because of the extreme weather. Graham and Richard picked up from where they left off jabbering away together and catching up on each others lives. Nice to see and hear. Meanwhile I was working away on my lace lessons. I have now completed the first three pieces.

On Sunday we had a lovely time wandering about Balinyup which is very well set up for tourism. They are getting prepared for their medieval festival next weekend.

We were all fascinated by the shop which advertised it sold "Used Books and Socks". We nearly had to physically rest restrain Richard from removing his socks and trying to trade them in! In addition to the books and socks, we spent some time in a shop which sold essential oil and herbal products, textile crafts, antiques and of course the coffee shop. We also viewed a small historical exhibition. I was intrigued by the gates and fence of a private home next to the herb shop and the arch was into one of the parks was fabulous. Afterwards we went out to the Old Cheese Factory a craft store which has been around for ever. I was so disappointed. It has hardly changed since I was there 25 years ago and most of the stock seemed to be the same. The best bit of it was the old furniture in the very back of the store and the turned wooden bowls.

We toured around the countryside, it was so green and lush before returning to Bunbury and going to Turkey Point to watch a ship being bought into harbour by three tugs. Of course this lead to a discussion about why is a tug called a tug when it mostly pushes the ships. I have googled and cannot find out.

Meanwhile the boys had been watching Richard, Gill and I removing snails from the vegetable garden and snuck away and did their own little bit towards eliminating them. The vege garden has a huge problem with snails, thank heavens we don't have any in Brinkworth.

The naughty bit the boys have done recently was breaking into Uncle Richard's shed and playing on his beloved BSA motor bike. Oh dear......

We returned to Perth because we have a birthday party to attend. Whilst in Perth we spent time with Judy and Jim having a BBQ at lunch time, then we took Bartholemew Otis back to visit his brothers in Waikiki. Needless to say he boasted about where he had been and that HIS trip was not yet over. Chewie was introduced as his travelling companion. We also visited Hans and Inge (sort of relatives by marriage) and there we were presented with a 1.569 kg turnip for our delectation.....

Saturday we went to granddaughter Charlie's third birthday party. We had purchased lovely Himalayan felt slippers with pussy cat faces on the toes for both girls in Balinyup and they both received a present. Nicole's sister Sara is a talented person, she made a white mud cake cake based on a Dolly Varden model however hers was decorated as Tangles (Rapunzel) Charlies favourite character. There is a photo attached. She also made the cup cakes. We had a nice BBQ and caught up with the Clark family members in attendance.

Lost the boys again and found them playing Guitar Hero on the dining room table.

Tomorrow we head off and are going south a little before moving east. We plan to move parallel with the Great Eastern Highway and go through the small townships immediately to the south of the highway. We will definitely go to Hyden and when there will decide whether we will go via one of the tracks up to Coolgardie depending on the amount of rain and the road report.

We plan to be home at the latest on 31st August, maybe a couple of days early for cheapskate Thursday at the Koolunga hotel, so till next time.....


Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 27


Advertisement



20th August 2013

photos
Coalmine and Sandy beaches look lovely and serene. Great photo of ship coming into Bunbury. That's true, hadn't thought about it but no snails, how is it so? Slugs though, but at least not both.
2nd September 2013

photo
sorry so late with comment. Love the sisters photo. Very nice, one of our best, glad I wasn't there to spoil it. Your photos of the bush, flora & birds are really well detailed. I will read all the postings again when I get home, things are so frantic over here.

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0266s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb