A wombat called Minibus


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Sunshine Coast
August 10th 2005
Published: August 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Escaping Brisbane we continued on our epic Greyhound journey stopping at Noosa Heads on the "Sunshine Coast". The wooden C19th YHA ("Halse Lodge") deserves a special mention as being a top place to stay even if the dorms are a touch on the small side. It was worth it just to watch the scores of lorikeets and parrots going about their business screechingly and squawkingly in the trees surrounding the building.

We had two objectives when we arrived in town:

The first was achieved the next day as we spent a full fun packed day at Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo. Starting with the 90 minute documentary shown on the courtesy bus to Beerwah to the shows (lots of big crocs and snakes and tigers etc.) to the contact sessions with the animals and demonstrations and talks by the keepers a fine day was had by all! Emma fed a piglet, I met and patted a wombat called "Minibus" and we both fed, stroked, prodded and talked to wallabies (the animals not the national rugby team), kangaroos and koalas. The whole approach at this zoo (inspired by it's croc-catching wildlife-loving generally-over-excitable owner) is different to any other zoo we've ever been to. The level of contact between the animals and the keepers is incredible and the whole approach is fresh and vibrant. If you get the chance...GO!!

The second was to arrange a trip to the World Heritage Fraser Island which will be the subject of our next blog...


Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 16; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0284s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb