By dingo!


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Fraser Island
August 12th 2005
Published: August 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

We've just got back from spending three days and two nights on Fraser Island. We joined a small group tour (12 other backpackers from all over the world) on wednesday morning.

First, we were driven up to Rainbow Beach by our guide, Mark, in a 4WD minibus/serious truck. Fraser is an island made entirely of sand and accordingly there is no soil, let alone sealed roads. It is listed as an UNESCO World Heritage site and reached by only by barge or boat.

We spent most of the first day driving up the beach (100km+) taking in the "Maheno Shipwreck", stopping to swim in the crystal clear "Eli Creek" and finally whale, shark, turtle, dolphin, manta ray spotting (we saw the whole set) from the top of a rocky outcrop named "Indian Head" by Captain Cook. We ended the day with a BBQ at camp and spent part of the night indoors avoiding some univited guests (cute but potentially dangerous pure-bred dingoes).

On Thursday morning, we walked through the rainforest (one of the very few to be laterally rooted in sand), ate a picnic lunch and spent the afternoon at the freshwater Birrabeen lake for lots of frisbee/vortex/tennis ball/football throwing (both in and out of the water) and two games of international co-ed rounders. On the way back in the dark we stopped at a different type of lake (Boomanjin), saw some more dingoes on the beach and spent the night around the campfire (some of us nearly made it to dawn, but 5am proved to be the limit!).

Bizarrely, it rained heavily on the last day but that didn't stop us walking across the sand dunes (although it was more Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen* than Lawrence of Arabia) to Lake Wabby for some sand-boarding in the dunes.

* i.e. "wet"









Advertisement



Tot: 0.277s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 18; qc: 67; dbt: 0.1617s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb