Island hopping


Advertisement
Australia's flag
Oceania » Australia » Queensland » Brisbane » Moreton Bay
August 7th 2005
Published: August 14th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Dolphins and surfersDolphins and surfersDolphins and surfers

From Point Lookout, North Stradbroke Island
After Wednesday's film festival marathon in Brisbane we took a train out to the town of Manly (not to be confused with the beach town of the same name outside Sydney) in Moreton Bay.

We had planned to visit St. Helena Island which was the site of an early convict settlement but found that as it's winter, no trip was running on the days we were there. Instead, we considered taking a ferry to Moreton Island but we ruled this out as we were planning to visit Fraser Island further up the coast - both are examples of sand islands but Fraser is largest of this type in the world.

By default, we ventured out to North Stradbroke Island via a train ride to Cleveland, the "Gold Cat" ferry and two bus trips. There's an amazing walk up at "Point Lookout" and we saw loads of dolphins, 6 humpback whales, numerous loggerhead turtles and an amazing manta ray flying through the water.

The next day we stayed on the mainland and took a walk up the coast to the town of Wynnum for lots of pelicans and mangroves. Unfortunately, we couldn't decide exactly how to pronounce the name of this town so puns of the day varied from Emma's inventing a slogan for the rugby club ("We can't Wynnum all but we can have a darn good try") to my name for a new restaurant ("Wynnum and dine-em"). It was definitely time to return to Brisbane and hit the road again...

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 13; qc: 29; dbt: 0.05s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb