Salem, OR to Homer, AK


Advertisement
North America
July 7th 2006
Published: August 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone, These are the photos I took on my ride from Bandon, OR to Homer, Alaska in July 2006. I rode solo on my new Kawasaki Ninja 650R, camping along the way or grabbing a motel if the weather turned nasty. During the 4 week journey I covered over 7000 miles and had a great time, met new friends and got to see a part of the world I hadn't been to before. I hope you enjoy the pics! LarryLarry... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 110, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Pic #64Pic #64
Pic #64

July 21 - The Lodge at Paxon on the Glenn Highway - waaaay out in the sticks. Big parking lot, had my choice of spaces. Where is everyone? Probably watching their GPS's
Pic #65Pic #65
Pic #65

July 21 - Stopped for breakfast & gas, the other 2 customers left & it was me doing the solo thing again.
Pic #66Pic #66
Pic #66

July 21 - No gas on this side but I managed to squeeze out 2 gallons on the other side, then it was gone. Who knows what was in those last 2 gallons but the Ninja didn't seem to mind.
Pic #67Pic #67
Pic #67

July 21 - My first view of the Alaska Pipeline just before Glennallen.
Pic #68Pic #68
Pic #68

July 21 - One of many tourist attractions along the Alaskan Highway. Today I was the tourist. Remarkable.
Pic #69Pic #69
Pic #69

July 21 - A couple of RV's were coming like bats out of hell so I moved on, never saw them again.
Pic #70Pic #70
Pic #70

July 21 - There 'tis, the real deal, from whence our benzino cometh...You can't see them in this pic but there was some sort of conflagaration going on down by that levy at the lower right. A couple of military security wagons and several company trucks went screaming into the area. It looked like there were a couple of ultra-lights down in the parking area and a lot of interest was being shown in them. I decided it was an excellent time to move along as I don't answer questions well.
Pic #71Pic #71
Pic #71

July 21 - If you'll look past the wrinkly old fart you'll see the pipeline up close & personal.
Pic #72Pic #72
Pic #72

July 21 - Duh...No comment
Pic #73Pic #73
Pic #73

July 21 - Starting to cloud up, time to move on towards Delta Junction
Pic #74Pic #74
Pic #74

July 21 - Getting close to Delta Junction riding north on highway 4
Pic #75Pic #75
Pic #75

July 21 - There's thousands of acres of dead trees up north - some kind of killer beetle is doing it. Someone ought to tell them to stop, they're ruining all the landscaping
Pic #76Pic #76
Pic #76

July 21 - I stopped to take this gal's picture & left my favorite hat along the roadway. Lousy trade. This was heading south of Delta Junction on highway 2. Maybe if you're in the area you could pick up my hat & send it to me?
Pic #77Pic #77
Pic #77

July 21 - Had to stop and buy a new hat at this place. Lots of touristy stuff for sale. Just for me. :)
Pic #78Pic #78
Pic #78

July 21 - This is it, isn't it? This is why we can't resist the trip up the Alcan. Took this at 10:36pm in Beavercreek, first town across the border into Canada on highway 1.
Pic #79Pic #79
Pic #79

July 21 - One of many fuzzy pics I took this evening...drank an entire bottle of wine with my dinner and had a couple of toddies in my room. I love camping indoors...
Pic #80Pic #80
Pic #80

July 21 - I'm so easily entertained...nice "Do" Larry... izzat a little helmet hair there?
Pic #81Pic #81
Pic #81

July 21 - This was the little coin-op laundry where I washed my grubby clothes and my only copy of Jupiter's Travels. It's amazing what happens to a paperback when you do that. Not to mention the rest of your laundry. Nice white fuzzy stuff. The attendant was very gracious. Probably scared...
Pic #82Pic #82
Pic #82

July 21 - Things to do in your room when it's late and you're slightly bombed and you get the munchies and you have all this cool camping equipment and a package of Top-Ramen....mmmm..
Pic #83Pic #83
Pic #83

July 22 - On the way out of Beaver Creek - What is it with these Catholics and Quonset huts anyway?
Pic #84Pic #84
Pic #84

July 22 - On the road again heading south towards the Kluane wilderness - highway 1



5th August 2006

Too much fun !!
Larry,Larry, You looked like you were having a great time and it is neat that both you bike and your body held up. I even recognize some of those places as they haven't changed in 20 years. But of course it is all paved now. That sand road is really slimey ain't it? At least is was in a car . . . . . . .Where to next?
5th August 2006

Some do, some don't
You're one of the ones that "do". Looks like you had a great trip! Meredith and Mike just got back from Hope, Ak. Drove up the Alcan.
7th August 2006

Nice pictures exciting trip. Having a 650R myself shows I picked the right bike for longevity. Hope to make similar trips myself (maybe not as long as I am young and still have to work).
7th August 2006

Great Trip
Good Day!!!
7th August 2006

Great Trip
Good Day!!! Larry good to hear from you, after looking at your pics I wish I was there with you on your trip. Fantastic pics and of course great comments, I will email you soon.
29th August 2006

Love your sense of humor!
We're planning that very trip next year. Thanks for the preview! Now I know why Paul has two GPS's and me one more. Thanks for the tip about growling at the bears ; ) Voni sMiling

Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 40; dbt: 0.0824s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb