Salem, OR to Homer, AK


Advertisement
North America
July 7th 2006
Published: August 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone, These are the photos I took on my ride from Bandon, OR to Homer, Alaska in July 2006. I rode solo on my new Kawasaki Ninja 650R, camping along the way or grabbing a motel if the weather turned nasty. During the 4 week journey I covered over 7000 miles and had a great time, met new friends and got to see a part of the world I hadn't been to before. I hope you enjoy the pics! LarryLarry... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 110, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Pic #43Pic #43
Pic #43

July 17 - Glad I washed the bike this morning, wouldn't want to be seen on a dirt-bag...Crossed the border into the good ol' USA this afternoon, via Border City. Dang, I made it to Alaska! Border gal said "Welcome Home", made me feel all warm & gushy inside.
Pic #44Pic #44
Pic #44

July 17 - Waiting in line to start west across the TOK cutoff - "Road under construction" Har har...
Pic #45Pic #45
Pic #45

July 17 - Flagger guy had a genuine sense of humor regarding bikers who ride the TOK cutoff... I got to follow the water truck who was following the freakin' grader....fun fun
Pic #46Pic #46
Pic #46

July 17 - Eagle Trail State Campground - First night in Alaska
Pic #47Pic #47
Pic #47

July 17 - Great campground but no water so I bummed some off one of the RV'rs. One other tent, only 3 or 4 campers. Was this really the tourist season or was it the infamous TOK cutoff?
Pic #48Pic #48
Pic #48

July 17 - No! Bad doggies! What is it about tires anyway?
Pic #49Pic #49
Pic #49

July 17 - I could have left my flashlights & lantern home!
Pic #50Pic #50
Pic #50

July 18 - Still on the TOK cutoff, beautiful country
Pic #51Pic #51
Pic #51

July 18 - Isn't that Mount Whatsitsname off in the distance?
Pic #52Pic #52
Pic #52

July 18 - Rode like hell all day after getting clear of the nasties, stopped for 30 or 40 seconds in Anchorage, then on down the Kenai peninsula. Stopped & registered at a state campground but decided to move on as the bears were hungry & I was not in the mood to deal with them. Finally found the Midnight Sun at Moose Pass, sort of a B&B & decided to stay there 2 days. It's an easy ride to Homer from there and only 27 miles down to Seward.
Pic #53Pic #53
Pic #53

July 18 - Great cabins at the Midnight Sun - $105, lots better than sharing your tent with a bear.
Pic #54Pic #54
Pic #54

July 19 - Cook Inlet at Homer. Old Captain Cook went everywhere. Sometimes he was a real pain in the ass. You should read about him.
Pic #55Pic #55
Pic #55

July 19 - Damn! It's me at Homer freakin Alaska! Yeehaaaaa! Who'd a thunk it??
Pic #56Pic #56
Pic #56

July 19 - Highlight of my 2-hour stay in Homer was lunch at the Cosmic Kitchen. Dead Halibut of course.
Pic #57Pic #57
Pic #57

July 19 - I bought a fist full of post cards plus stamps to send to you guys. Then I ordered coffee & moved to the outside deck, got all my gear settled & unpacked, got out the old ballpoint, ready to write for a couple of hours....and no address list anywhere! So...under the beady-eyed surveillance of the only other person on the deck I reversed all of the above and rode off into the afternoon. Bet she was impressed. Great view from the deck. Homer. What else can I say? Homer..Homer...
Pic #58Pic #58
Pic #58

July 19 - On the way back to Moose Pass & The Midnight Sun...local art trailer complete with hubcap eyeballs & stinger in the rear. I love art. You should too.
Pic #59Pic #59
Pic #59

July 20 - riding out of Moose Pass heading to Glennallen to follow the Alaskan Pipeline up to Delta Junction on highway 4. Washed the bike again this morning. Why do I do that? Why?
Pic #60Pic #60
Pic #60

July 20 - On the Glen Highway near Palmer, AK - One of many rivers in the Talkeetna mountains that were mined for gold during the big rush.
Pic #61Pic #61
Pic #61

July 20 - Dry Creek campground near Gakona - no water but lots of bugs & only a few campers. Very private. Except for the bugs.
Pic #62Pic #62
Pic #62

July 20 - I wouldn't sell my Original Bug Shirt for $1000! Well...maybe I would but it's pretty cool. Maybe $100 would get it? $75? Comes with it's own bugs....think about it...
Pic #63Pic #63
Pic #63

July 21 - Fantastic light this morning on the road to Glennallen. I'm all alone again, zero traffic.



5th August 2006

Too much fun !!
Larry,Larry, You looked like you were having a great time and it is neat that both you bike and your body held up. I even recognize some of those places as they haven't changed in 20 years. But of course it is all paved now. That sand road is really slimey ain't it? At least is was in a car . . . . . . .Where to next?
5th August 2006

Some do, some don't
You're one of the ones that "do". Looks like you had a great trip! Meredith and Mike just got back from Hope, Ak. Drove up the Alcan.
7th August 2006

Nice pictures exciting trip. Having a 650R myself shows I picked the right bike for longevity. Hope to make similar trips myself (maybe not as long as I am young and still have to work).
7th August 2006

Great Trip
Good Day!!!
7th August 2006

Great Trip
Good Day!!! Larry good to hear from you, after looking at your pics I wish I was there with you on your trip. Fantastic pics and of course great comments, I will email you soon.
29th August 2006

Love your sense of humor!
We're planning that very trip next year. Thanks for the preview! Now I know why Paul has two GPS's and me one more. Thanks for the tip about growling at the bears ; ) Voni sMiling

Tot: 0.191s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 6; qc: 40; dbt: 0.066s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb