Honeymoon in Vegas!


Advertisement
United States' flag
North America » United States » Nevada » Las Vegas
August 13th 2007
Published: August 17th 2007
Edit Blog Post

New York, New York CasinoNew York, New York CasinoNew York, New York Casino

We stopped to share a pretzel at the New York, New York casino. I didn't realize we relaxed in front of the Coyote Ugly underwear display. Oops!
Andrew and I just made it back from Vegas! It was truly the best honeymoon a couple could ask for.

When we landed, we quickly found a shuttle to the strip. It pulled up first to the Signature, which was our stop, and everyone in the shuttle (including us!) gawked at it. It was terribly elegant and surrounded by palm trees and fountains. As Andrew and I walked in, he hunched down to my ear and whispered, "This is seriously the nicest place I've ever been in."

The staff was the friendlist, and our room was remarkable. Andrew's parents had sent a gift basket with some cookies, fruit and sparkling cider, and we had a jacuzzi and a large window. We got settled in and hit the casinos! The next morning, we were able to explore some more. Andrew and I fell in love with the Excalibur. A woman named Mannie taught us how to play Pai Gow poker. We sat and played for hours and left with $40 more than we started. Later that evening, we bought a monorail pass to Paris (which was also an incredible casino!) and played more Pai Gow until it was time to
Beatles LoveBeatles LoveBeatles Love

We got to see the Beatles Love Cirque de Soleil! It was truly the best show I've ever seen.
go to Planet Hollywood to see Hans Klok (a magician). We did well in Paris, too, and left with more money than we started with. Hans was OK--definitely not a waste of a trip, but nothing I'd write home about.

Saturday, Andrew played some craps and didn't do so hot. I kept us even with my insane wins at Pai Gow at the Excalibur. As of Saturday, we'd only eaten one meal in Las Vegas because we couldn't find anything that was vegeatarian! But, of all the places, the Sherwood Forest cafe at the Excalibur had options for us. Hurray, we could eat! We wolfed down breakfast and came back later on in our trip for lunch, too. We then went to the Mirage to see the Cirque du Soleil's Beatles Love act. The Mirage was too loud and crowded for our tastes (we avoided that casino as much as possible during our trip), but the show... it was incredible! Truly the best show I've ever seen. There were roller bladers, tap dancers/stompers, break dancers, and everything was done to the Beatles' music. I can't remember the last time I had so much fun, and everyone got to their
Andrew at LoveAndrew at LoveAndrew at Love

I got so excited waiting to get into the show! I snapped Andrew's picture in front of a lot of the Beatles displays.
feet in a standing ovation when it was over. Encore!

After the Beatles, we went to Harrah's. Harrah's is a much older casino, but we were stoked they offered Keno. We sat and played Keno for about an hour or two. We never won anything, but it only cost about $20 to play for that long.

Sunday, we had so much fun. We went for a swim at the Signature, and then we found a place that could make us vegetarian sandwiches (not an easy feat in Vegas). I played some Pai Gow at the MGM. All they had was $25 tables, and I was a nervous wreck playing there. When I was up $50, I left and went with Andrew to play at the Bellagio. We won another $100 and went to the gardens to meet up with Phuong who was passing through Vegas. We treated Phuong do a dinner at Noodles (a delicious Asian restaurant in the Bellagio) with our winnings and didn't realize how much time had passed until...

...we were late for our show! Penn and Teller were performing at the Rio (a casino not located on the strip; in fact, you have
Andrew's MargaritaAndrew's MargaritaAndrew's Margarita

Andrew got a huge margarita! I got a nifty souvenier cup out of the deal.
to cross a highway to get there!) at 9pm. We were supposed to get there at 8pm to trade in our reservations for tickets, and it was after 8:30! We tried to run to the strip to catch a cab since the cab line was so long at the Bellagio. There were so many people gathered around the Bellagio to watch the water show that it took a full 10 minutes to get to the street. Andrew caught us a cab, and we made it to the Rio just before 9. Luckily, they let us in! I'm so glad they did, because Penn and Teller gave a fun show. Andrew was really into it. On our way out of the casino, we took a wrong turn and happened to stumble upon free shuttles back to the strip. Not a bad deal! They took us to Paris, and we got ice cream before hopping the monorail back to our hotel.

I have to say, out of all of our days in Vegas, Monday was our least favorite. We went to eat at the Rainforest Cafe. They were understaffed, and so the waiters were stressed and rude. There weren't any vegetarian
Captain PicardCaptain PicardCaptain Picard

Hurray for the wax museum outside of the Venetian! Hurray for Picard!
options, so we had to customize our meals. Those meals were accidently given to the wrong people, and so we didn't get our food for nearly an hour after we arrived. They weren't made right (we paid an extra $2 for fries instead of chips, but we still got chips. Andrew ordered extra cheese on his $18 pasta with marinara sauce, but it came without. My veggie patty was freezer burnt and hard and dry. I'd ordered a water, but in the hour and a half we were there, it never came), but we were too hungry to send them back. After flushing $75 at the Rainforest Cafe (never, ever again), we went to play some Roulette and lost a bit. Andrew tried out the poker room and didn't fare so well there, either. I even lost $40 at Pai Gow at the Excalibur. It definitely felt like a downer day. I went to the hotel room to soak in our jacuzzi and turned in early. I think I fell asleep watching "October Sky," actually. At 2am, Andrew woke me up, trembling. "Hey, Becky. Becky, can you wake up?"

I was so tired, I kind of just rolled over.
the Venetianthe Venetianthe Venetian

The Venetian was beautiful inside, but it was way too crowded. We enjoyed the view from their balcony entrance, though.
Andrew sounded urgent, though, so I did my best to focus on what he was telling me. Apparently, he'd gone to play craps. He started at a table with $40 and left with $600! He said, "Becky, I found out what color a $500 chip is!" It was so much fun to wake up to that news. It definitely made our negative experiences from earlier that day less overwhelming.

So, because of Andrew's big win at craps, we spoiled ourselves on Tuesday. We were able to pay off our room tab (long distance phone calls and room service bills added up, haha), and then we ate at a fancy restaurant in the MGM, played games like Roulette (I didn't lose! Yay!), won at the $25 Pai Gow table (we were up over $100! Huzzah!), got Starbucks, bought puzzle games for the plane ride home, and just lived it up. It was nice to go out with a bang.

In total, Las Vegas was so much fun for us. We slept and hung out in our room when we wanted to, went out and gambled when we wanted to, saw some terrific shows, got room service, swam, played, laughed,
the Excaliburthe Excaliburthe Excalibur

We gambled the most at the Excalibur at the Pai Gow poker table. Good times!
explored the strip, ate lots of ice cream, took some pictures (which I will post!), and just really enjoyed ourselves. Andrew, I'm sorry I ordered room service at 7am. From now on, I will wait until 9! Haha. Good times in Vegas.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Andrew at the BellagioAndrew at the Bellagio
Andrew at the Bellagio

The Bellagio was a long walk from the MGM Signature, but we went for the gellato and to see my best friend, Phuong, who happened to be in Vegas at the same time. The Bellagio changes their gardens with every season.
Fountains at ParisFountains at Paris
Fountains at Paris

After the Excalibur, we had the most fun at the Paris casino! We won a lot at their Pai Gow poker tables.
Becky at ParisBecky at Paris
Becky at Paris

Here I am, enjoying the fountain at the Paris casino. The walks felt so long in the heat; we rested a lot.
Soaking up SunSoaking up Sun
Soaking up Sun

The pools at the MGM Signature were intimate and quiet. I think there was just one other couple there, so we had a lot of fun swimming and relaxing.
Winning TeaWinning Tea
Winning Tea

At the end of our stay, we were so thrilled with having won, that we splurged on a very nice meal. I also got some tea :)
MGM GrandMGM Grand
MGM Grand

One last photo before catching our shuttle to the airport! Hurray for the newlyweds!


Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb